SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University softball team powered through the cold and opened the season with a pair of wins over the Rochester Yellowjackets on Saturday.
Game 1 Final Score: Salisbury 7, Rochester 6
Game 2 Final Score: Salisbury 7, Rochester 2
Records: Salisbury (2-0) | Rochester (0-2)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rochester struck first in the first inning with an Eric Bevac single that scored Hannah Keiper from second base.
- Rochester added a pair of runs in the third inning with a two-run single to center field by Jen Carson.
- Salisbury tied up the game in a big way in the bottom of the third inning when Kaleigh Edwards hit a three-run bomb over the left-center field fence,
- Rochester regained the lead in the top of the fifth with a two-run double to right field by Alexis Pope to give the Yellowjackets the 5-3 lead.
- Salisbury tied the game in the bottom half of the fifth. The lead was trimmed in half with a leadoff home run by Jillian Jones. After a one-out double, Maddison Lednum scored from third base on a wild pitch to nod the game at five.
- Bevac responded with an RBI ground out in the top of the sixth to plate Isabella Feraca from third base.
- The game was tied again in the bottom of the sixth when Dakotah Fraley smacked a single to left-center to score Natalie Paoli to lock the game up at six heading to the seventh.
- After a three-up, three-down top half of the seventh inning, Lednum led the inning off with a double to center field. Abby Mace followed with a double to center field that deflected off the center fielder's glove to allow Salisbury to walk off winners in game one.
- It didn't take long in the nightcap for Salisbury to take an early lead in the game. Jones knocked a double to left-center and was moved over on a passed ball, Edwards brought her home with a sacrifice fly to center field.
- In the second inning, Emily Allen hit a one-out double to left-center. Two batters later, Allen was able to scamper home on a wild pitch to give Salisbury the 2-0 lead.
- Rochester cut the lead in half in the top of the third but Salisbury added three runs in the bottom half of the inning of back-to-back Rochester errors.
- Mace put Salisbury up 6-1 in the fifth with an RBI single to left field to plate Lednum from second base.
- Fraley added more insurance for Salisbury in the bottom of the sixth with an RBI double to left that scored Sami Mumford.
- Rochester got a run back in the seventh but Lindsey Windsor closed the door on Rochester with a groundout by Faraca to end the game.
- Jillian Jones tallied four hits on the day with four runs scored, including the solo home run in game one.
- In their first collegiate games, Abby Mace and Maddison Lednum combined for five hits, three of which were doubles. Lednum came around to score four times in the twin bill.
- Kaleigh Edwards drove in four runs in the doubleheader. Three came with her three-run dinger in the opener.
- Lindsey Windsor and Savannah Sheats each collected wins in their maroon and gold debuts. Windsor struck out three in a complete-game effort in the nightcap.
- Salisbury will wrap up their weekend with a pair of games tomorrow at Sea Gull Softball Field.
- The Sea Gulls will look for the three-game sweep over the Yellowjackets tomorrow at 10 a.m. followed by a matchup with No. 19 TCNJ at 2 p.m.
- Stats and video are available for all of the games tomorrow on SUSeaGulls.com.