SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's tennis team collected a 9-0 win on Friday over the Goucher Gophers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury cruised in doubles action to start the day. The tandem of Brad Pappalardo and Gianluca Beaujon picked up a win in No. 1 doubles, 8-1, against Omosesan Adebamgbe and Josh Neal.
- The teams of Russell Willenborg and Luke McMullen as well as Christopher Catan and Mitchell Desman rolled to an 8-0 sweep in No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to seal the doubles sweep.
- After dropping the first set 6-2, Pappalardo stormed back to win the final two sets, 6-1, 6-1 to collect his first singles win of the season.
- The Sea Gulls rolled through second through fifth singles with Willenborg, Beaujon, Caton and McMullen all winning their respective singles matches in straight sets.
- Wayne Russell had the match of the day in No. 6 singles against Jackson Beam. Russell dropped the first set, 6-4, to Beam and fell behind 4-2 in the second set. Russell came back in the second frame and rattled off four straight points to tie the match at a set apiece. Russell clinched the comeback in the third-set tiebreaker and sealed the sweep with a 2-6, 6-4, 10-8 win.
- Salisbury has a quick turnaround to take on the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins on Saturday, Feb. 26.
- The match is slated to begin at 4 p.m.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.