SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's tennis team collected a 9-0 sweep of the Marymount Saints on Sunday to open the 2022 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls opened double with two wins and a default. Gianluca Beaujon and Russell Willenborg collected an 8-2 win in No. 1 doubles.
- In their first collegiate action, Christopher Catan and Mitchell Desman breezed by Jordan Jake and Emmanuel Achu, 8-1, in No. 2 doubles.
- The top two singles matches were battles with Salisbury prevailing in both matches. Willenborg earned a 7-5, 6-4 win in No. 1 singles over Dorian Guiot.
- After dropping the first set 6-4 to Nicolas Stromberg, Beaujon toughed out a 6-4 win in the second set to force the third-set tiebreaker. Beaujon notched the win in No. 2 singles after winning the tiebreaker 10-4.
- Catan, Wayne Russell and Jhayden Pappas each cruised to wins in their respective singles matches while Desman picked up a default in No. 6 singles.
- Salisbury returns to the courts on Friday, Feb. 25 as they host the Goucher Gophers.
- The match is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.