Posted: Oct 08, 2021
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The Salisbury University men's tennis team sent competitors to last weekend's ITA Regional Championships, Presented by Oracle. The 28-school fall tournament was hosted by the University of Mary Washington.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brad Pappalardo represented the Sea Gulls in the Championship Singles bracket, advancing to the Round of 32 with a 7-6(5), 3-6, 6-2 win over Marymount's Michael Miller before falling to Jonathan Nottingham of Carnegie Mellon 6-2, 6-2.
- Pappalardo and Gianluca Beaujon paired up to compete in the Championship Doubles bracket, rolling into the round of 32 with an 8-2 win over the Stevenson pair of Ben Porto and Larry Johnson III. Pappalardo-Beaujon later bowed to Christopher Newport pair Alec Strause and Ryan Macy, 8-4.
- Russell Willenborg and Luke McMullen represented Salisbury well in the Championship Doubles consolation bracket, advancing to the semifinals.
- In the B1 Doubles bracket, Mitchell Desman and Christopher Catan made it to the semifinals by dispatching a pair from Averett, 8-2, in the opening round and a Dickinson College duo, 8-4, in the quarterfinals. Desman and Catan narrowly bowed to the Grove City College pair Karsten Lagerquist and Ryne Talko, 8-6.
- Elsewhere in B1 Doubles, Jhayden Pappas and Wayne Russell lost in the round of 16 to Evgeniy Bodgasaryan and Jorge Figueroa of Averett. In the consolation side of the bracket, Pappas and Russell downed a Ursinus duo 8-6 before dropping an 8-2 decision to Haverford's Danny Loder and Justin Minerva.
- In the B2 Singles bracket, Beaujon bested Dickinson's Garrick Adams, 6-2, 6-2, in the quarterfinal round, but lost a heartbreaking 3-6, 6-2, 13-11 decision to Pedro Norte of Franklin & Marshall in the semifinals.
- Catan lost in the opening round of the B4 Singles bracket 7-5, 6-1 to Ursinus' Robert Ritchie and bowed in the consolation bracket semis 7-5, 6-4 to James McKenzie of Haverford.
- McMullen held his own in the B5 Singles bracket, advancing to the semifinals with a 6-3, 6-3 drubbing of Franklin & Marshall's Anthony Casale. He later lost a tight semifinal matchup to Ryohei Kawai of Washington (Md.), 5-7, 6-4, 10-8.
- In the B6 Singles bracket, Pappas dropped a quarterfinal decision but advanced to the finals of the consolation bracket, downing Darby Rogers of Ursinus 8-7(2). In the finals, he fell to Mary Washington's Foster Evans, 2-6, 6-0, 10-8.
- Russell advanced to the semifinals of the B7 Singles bracket in a 6-2, 4-6, 12-10 nail-biter over Southern Virginia's Mason Pitcher. In the semis, he dropped a 6-0, 6-3 decision to Justin Schuetz of Lebanon Valley College.