CHATANOOGA, Tenn. - Salisbury University men's tennis senior Alec Angradi begins play in the 2021 NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championships on Friday, May 28 at 11 a.m . Angradi matches up with Carlos Martinex of McMurry (Texas) University.
SETTING THE STAGE
- The 2019 Capital Athletic Conference Player of the Year, Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Regional Champion in singles and doubles and ITA All-American, Angradi is making his second trip to the NCAA Tournament. He earned his second all-conference first-team singles selection after the 2021 season. Angradi recorded a 4-3 record during the season. He earned four consecutive wins to start the 2021 campaign, including a 6-1, 6-2 win over Edik Pribitkin in SU's win over Division I Loyola on April 3.
- Carlos Martinez finished the 2021 season with a 10-5 record. Martinez is a two-time American Southwest Conference (ASC) Player of the Year, after collecting ASC West Most Valuable Player honors in 2021. Martinez compiled a 10-5 record at No. 1 singles and 15-2 mark in doubles.
- Angradi is one of five Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) representatives in the men's field of 32 singles players. Marcos Dias and Kukutla Motlojoa of Southern Virginia, Scotty Hunter of CNU and Moses Hutchinson of Mary Washington will compete in the tournament with Hutchinson and Motlojoa on the same side of the bracket as Angradi.
THE ANGRADI ANGLE
- In his three-year career with Salisbury, Angradi has left an impressive mark with the maroon and gold. In spring matches, Angradi has totaled 40 wins with 21 singles and 19 doubles victories. Angradi's singles and doubles championships at the ITA Southeast Regional in 2019 were the first regional titles in program history.
WHAT'S ON THE LINE
- The winner of the opening round match will face the winner of the Scott Altmeyer of Washington (Mo.) and Auturo Kam of Williams match in Round of 16 later that afternoon.