SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's tennis team will open play in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Tournament, hosting the St. Mary's Seahawks on Tuesday, May 4 at 3:30 p.m. at the Salisbury University Tennis Center.
HOW WE GOT HERE
- The Sea Gulls earned the fourth seed in the C2C Tournament with a 5-3 overall record and a 1-3 record in the conference.
- The C2C win was over the St. Mary's Seahawks on March 27.
- The five wins on the year included an impressive 5-2 win over Division I Loyola on April 3.
HOW THEY GOT HERE
- St. Mary's finished the 2021 regular season 1-5 overall and 0-2 in the C2C.
- St. Mary's collected an 8-1 win over Division II Frostburg St.on April 24 before an exhibition victory on April 28 against Marymount.
LAST TIME WE MET
- Salisbury took down St. Mary's 9-0 across the bridge on March 27.
- Salisbury got the match off on a high in doubles. The team of Patrick MacLean and Stefan Hein won 8-4 against Stephen Alam and Kier Nacua in No. 1 doubles.
- Ryan Santmyer and Russell Willenborg and Garrett Malave and Wayne Russell earned wins in No. 2 doubles and No. 3 doubles with scores of 8-2 and 8-3 respectively.
- MacLean took care of Alam in No. 1 singles in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.
- Santmyer and Malave won their singles matches 6-1, 6-1.
- Willenborg notched a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Nick Rohr in No. 2 singles.
- Hein earned a 6-4, 6-1 win in No. 4 singles.
- Russell capped the sweep with a 6-1, 6-3 win in No. 6 singles over Liam Pratt.
- Following the match, Willenborg was named the C2C Men's Tennis Athlete of the Week.
IN THE REGION
- As a team, Salisbury is ranked ninth in the Atlantic South region.
- The doubles team of Angradi and Siew sit seventh in the region with a 4-3 record in 2021.
- Angradi is ranked as the sixth-best singles player in the region with a 4-2 record in 2021.
- The winner of Tuesday's match will face top-seeded Mary Washington in the C2C Semifinals.
- That match is scheduled for Friday, May 7 at 11 p.m. in Fredericksburg, Va.