FREDERICKSBURG, Va. - The fifth-seeded Salisbury University men's soccer team battled to the final whistle but fell to the fourth-seeded UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. 1-0, in overtime in the quarterfinals of the Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Championship Tournament on Thursday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After some back-and-forth play, Salisbury had a great chance in the 27th minute. After a UC Santa Cruz foul, Ben Pigg sent the free-kick inside the box. Carter Chesney rose and got a head on it but the shot just missed the net and the game remained tied.
- In the 48th minute, the Banana Slugs looked to get their offense going. After a shot was blocked, Luca Bravo drilled a shot towards the bottom left corner, but Ryan Socks made an incredible diving stop to keep the game scoreless.
- In the final minute of overtime, UC Santa Cruz earned a free-kick. Itay Rabinovich, sent the ball towards the left post and Max Beldner sent a header into the back of the net for the golden goal.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- The Sea Gulls tallied six shots.
- Cullen Myers paced the Sea Gull offense with three shots.
- Ryan Socks earned the start and collected four saves.
- The Sea Gulls had five corner kicks.
UC SANTA CRUZ GAME NOTES
- The Banana Slugs notched nine shots with five being on net.
- Max Beldner scored the goal for the Banana Slugs.
- Wolf Schermerhorn started in net for the Banana Slugs.
- The Banana Slugs had five corner kicks.
- Salisbury finishes the 2021 season with a 7-8-1 overall record and a 1-1-1 record in conference play.