SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's soccer team couldn't hold on to an early lead as the Sea Gulls fell to Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) rival, Christopher Newport, 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gull offense did not take long to get on the board. In the fifth minute Kiran Chikmath sent a cross towards the middle of the box. Ethan Dolezal got a head on it, but the attempt was popped up in the air by a CNU defender. Conner Appleby drove the loose ball into the bottom left corner to give the Sea Gulls the 1-0 lead.
- In the 22nd minute, the Captains answered the early Sea Gull lead with a one-timer by Will Collins past a diving Ryan Miller.
- The Captains capitalized on the momentum and took the 2-1 lead in the 32nd minute with a Tanner Dail goal after a pass from Collins in front of the box.
- The CNU offense looked for insurance in the 60th minute. Jason LaViola made a move past Miller and had a wide-open net, but Alex Floyd made a spectacular sliding stop that kept the Sea Gull deficit to one.
- In the 73rd minute, the Sea Gulls looked for a chance to tie the game. After a through ball from Ben Pigg, Carter Chesney was one-on-one with the goalie but a sliding save by the CNU keeper kept the lead intact.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- The Sea Gulls tallied four shots with three on goal.
- Conner Appleby scored the lone goal for the Sea Gulls.
- Carter Chesney paced the Sea Gull offense with three shots.
- Ryan Miller earned the start and collected a save.
- The Sea Gulls had four corner kicks in the contest.
CHRIS. NEWPORT GAME NOTES
- The Captains notched seven shots with four being on net.
- Gabe Barros had two saves in net for the Captains.
- Will Collins and Tanner Dail scored the goals for the Captains.
- The Captains had five corner kicks.
- Salisbury hosts the Stockton Ospreys on Wednesday, Oct. 20.
- Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.