Posted: Sep 22, 2021
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Salisbury University men's soccer team fell to the Catholic Cardinals, 3-1, on the road Wednesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Catholic offense started the game on the attack. In just the second minute after a Salisbury goal kick, Paul Egan sent a through ball towards the box where Jack McEvoy sent a one-timer into the bottom left corner to start the scoring for Catholic.
- Just a few moments later, Catholic was awarded a penalty kick. Darius Siahpoosh sent a strike past a diving Gabe Dunn into the bottom left corner to double the lead for the Cardinals.
- In the fifth minute, the Sea Gull offense struck back. Beau Johnson sent a high ball into the box, Ethan Dolezal rose and headed the ball past the Catholic goalkeeper to put Salisbury on the board, 2-1.
- In the 61st minute, Catholic had a chance to increase its lead with a shot just inside the box, but Dunn made a diving stop and pushed the ball away to keep the Sea Gulls within one.
- After a Salisbury corner kick in the 83rd minute, Catholic went on the counter-attack. After the ball was brought up the pitch, Gordie Bernlohr found Siahpoosh, who sent a shot into the bottom right corner for his second goal of the match and the insurance needed for the Cardinals.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- The Sea Gulls tallied 23 shots with seven on goal.
- Cullen Myers led the Sea Gulls with five shots.
- Gabe Dunn collected six saves in goal.
- The SU goal was scored by Ethan Dolezal.
CATHOLIC GAME NOTES
- The Cardinals notched 11 shots with nine being on net.
- The Cardinals had nine corner kicks compared to the Sea Gulls' six.
- Darius Siahpoosh scored a pair of goals for the Cardinals.
- Salisbury hosts the York Spartans on Wednesday, Sept. 29.
- Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.