SALISBURY, Md. - The Salisbury University men's soccer team battled the No. 21 Christopher Newport Captains for all 90 minutes but the Captains prevailed 2-1 against a tough Sea Gull steam in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action.
- Final: Christopher Newport 2, Salisbury 1
- Records: Salisbury (6-6-1, 1-4 CAC) | CNU (8-1-3, 5-0 CAC)
- Location: Sea Gull Soccer Stadium – Salisbury Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half consisted of even, back-and-forth action between the Christopher Newport and Salisbury. Each team recorded only three shots.
- CNU would get the scoring started in the 68th minute when Lincoln Kickbush would get kick the ball over the head of the SU goalie, Gabe Dunn, to give the Captains the 1-0 lead.
- In the 86th minute, the Sea Gulls would capitalize on a chance from Cullen Myers when he almost mimicked the goal Kickbush had just scored, Myers chipped the ball over the head of the CNU goalie, Justin Piercy, to tie the game 1-1.
- It wouldn't take CNU long to answer back when they earned a penalty kick in the 88th minute after an aggressive play by the Sea Gull defense. Derek Cook would kick it past Gabe Dunn to secure the 2-1 lead.
- Salisbury was able to get a last-second free-kick just outside the box. Kevin Eriksen's kick would be on cage but Piercy would make the save to seal the victory.
- Salisbury had the shot advantage over Christopher Newport, 9-8.
- The Sea Gulls and Captains would attempt the same amount of corner kicks with three.
- Cullen Myers tallied Salisbury's lone goal of the contest.
- Gabe Dunn recorded three saves in goal for the Sea Gulls.
- Ryan Spadin and Kevin Eriksen led Salisbury with two shots on goal, both of which were on goal.