SCRANTON, Pa. - The No. 1/2 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team dominated in its season opener with a 25-5 win over the Scranton Royals on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got out hot with a three-goal run in the first three and half minutes of the game. Jack Dowd, Isaac Thrasher and Cross Ferrara gave Salisbury the early 3-0 lead.
- After Scranton cut into the Salisbury lead with a Matthew McAree goal in the fifth minute, the Sea Gulls scored four unanswered goals. Ferrara put away three goals during the run along with a tally by Dowd before Scranton closed out the scoring in the first to make it a 7-2 game.
- The Sea Gulls started to pull away in the second quarter with seven unanswered goals. The barrage was topped off by a Charlie White goal assisted by Brice Bromwell in the final minute of the half to give the maroon and gold the 14-2 lead at halftime.
- The scoring frenzy continued to start the second half with Salisbury adding five more goals in the opening five-plus minutes of the third quarter to extend the lead to 19-2. Five different Sea Gulls found the back of the net to open the third.
- After a Scranton goal midway through the third, Salisbury closed out the quarter with four unanswered goals, highlighted by Thrasher's fourth and Luke Nestor's third goals of the game.
- Salisbury went on cruise control in the final quarter of the game with Joe Carrozza closing out the SU scoring with back-to-back goals, including a man-up goal in the opening minute of the fourth.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Cross Ferrara finished the day with 12 points to match his career-high. Ferrara notched eight goals and four assists. Ferrara led the team with 12 shots and with eight shots on goal.
- Isaac Thrasher tallied four goals and an assist.
- Luke Nestor added three goals while Jarrett Bromwell, Jack Dowd and Joe Carozza each scored two goals.
- Brice Bromwell, Josh Rotman, Charlie White, Ty Delancellotti, and Logan Posner scored a goal apiece. Posner added a pair of assists.
- Ham McPartland scooped up a game-high seven ground balls with 12 faceoff wins. Eoghan Sweeney and Jarrett Bromwell each tallied four ground balls apiece.
- Posner and Luke Piroli caused a pair of turnovers.
- Z.J. Shahin earned the start in net and recorded five saves for the Sea Gulls. Matty Back also saw time in net with two saves.
- The Sea Gulls went 25-of-34 in faceoffs.
SCRANTON GAME NOTES
- Cole Lukasiewicz, Chris Crapanzano, Mitchell Kozak, Finn Duignan, and Matthew McAree each tallied a goal for the Royals.
- Colin Pierce tied the game-high in ground balls with seven.
- Crapanzano secured a team-high six faceoff wins.
- Jack Steer and Evan Rosa combined for 22 saves for Scranton.
- Salisbury hosts its home opener against No. 16 Gettysburg on Saturday, Feb. 26.
- Opening faceoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.