EAST HARTFORD, Conn. - The second-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team fell in a double-overtime thriller to the top-ranked RIT Tigers, 15-14, in the 2021 NCAA Division III National Championship game in a rain-soaked Sunday afternoon at Pratt & Whitney Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was a back-and-forth first half with Cross Ferrara opening the scoring two minutes into the game.
- A pair of Griffin Moroney goals bookended by a Dawson Tait and Quinn Commandant tallies nodded the game at three with just over five minutes left in the first quarter.
- A Commandant goal two minutes after Moroney's second goal gave the Tigers the 4-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- Moroney and Commandant traded goals to start the second quarter before Salisbury got out to a three-goal run with markers by Jack Dowd and Josh Melton gave Salisbury the 7-6 lead midway through the second.
- RIT went on a three-goal run of its own to close out the first half and allow the Tigers to take a 9-7 lead into halftime.
- Salisbury tied the game at nine behind goals by Dowd to start the second half and Moroney at the 5:33 mark.
- RIT regained the lead 25 seconds later with a Larson Sundown goal to give the Tigers the 10-9 lead.
- Three Salisbury goals, one by Pierre Armstrong and a pair of Jarrett Bromwell rips to end the third and start the fourth pushed SU's lead to 12-10 in the early goings of the fourth.
- RIT fought back to tie the game at 13 halfway through the fourth quarter.
- Bromwell gave Salisbury the 14-13 lead with 7:13 to go in regulation with an unassisted goal.
- Salisbury looked to ice the game after a T.J. Ellis save and Kevin Murphy forced a turnover but SU was called for interference with 18 seconds left in regulation.
- RIT capitalized on the turnover and quick change with a Commandant goal off a Rosenblum assist with 12 seconds left to send the game to overtime.
- Both teams had good looks in the first overtime but RIT's Ryan Barnable ended the game in the second overtime on a quick restart with 2:26 to go in the second overtime to clinch RIT's first national championship.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jarrett Bromwell tied the Division III tournament scoring record with his three goals in the contest. He totaled 21 goals throughout the 2021 tournament. Bromwell also caused three turnovers.
- Griffin Moroney recorded a season-best five goals for Salisbury, including four in the first half.
- Jack Dowd and Cross Ferrara each recorded a pair of goals.
- Pierre Armstrong netted a goal and dished out two assists.
- T.J. Ellis made 12 saves in net for SU, the most since his 14 stops against Cabrini on March 19.
- Kevin Murphy caused a game-high five turnovers.
- Brad Greik scooped up five ground balls.
- Brett Malamphy went 15-of-27 at the X and picked up a game-high eight ground balls.
RIT GAME NOTES
- Quinn Commandant was named the game's Most Outstanding Player after scoring five goals and adding two assists.
- Dawson Tait and Ryan Barnable each put away two goals for the Tigers. Tait also handed out two assists.
- Walter Hare stopped 13 shots in goal.
- Salisbury finishes the 2021 season 17-2 overall with its 19th trip to the NCAA Championship game.