RADNOR, Pa. – The second-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team powered through the fifth-ranked Cabrini Cavaliers, 16-5, in the second round of the 2021 NCAA Division III Tournament on Sunday to advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cabrini's Jake Huey won the opening faceoff and scored the game's first goal seven seconds into the contest.
- Salisbury responded with back-to-back man-up goals by Cross Ferrara and Logan Posner with Josh Melton assists that gave SU the 2-1 lead three and a half minutes into the game.
- A pair of Jarrett Bromwell goals with a Griffin Moroney and Luke Harbottle goal sandwiched in between finished off Salisbury's six-goal run to take a 6-1 lead at the end of the first.
- In the 13th minute of the second quarter, Cabrini cut into the Salisbury lead with a Mike Gerzabek goal from Matt Loparo.
- Three-straight goals from Bromwell, Moroney and Pierre Armstrong capped off the first half with the Sea Gulls on top, 9-2.
- Salisbury continued the scoring run in the third quarter notching a pair of Bromwell goals along with tallies from Posner and Jack Dowd to push Salisbury's lead to 13-2.
- Max Drift ended the Salisbury seven-goal barrage with a goal with just over three minutes left in the third quarter to trim the SU lead, 13-3.
- The third quarter was clocked out with a Harbottle goal in the final minute to extend Salisbury's lead to 14-3.
- The teams took turns notching goals in the final quarter. The fourth was highlighted by Bromwell, who collected his six and seventh goals on the day.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jarrett Bromwell matched his career-high with seven goals on eight shots on goal. He also scooped up two ground balls.
- Griffin Moroney, Luke Harbottle and Logan Posner all scored a pair of goals in the contest. Jack Dowd, Pierre Armstrong and Cross Ferrara all added a goal in the victory.
- Both Josh Melton and Ferrara tacked on three assists.
- Brett Malamphy scooped up a game-high seven ground balls after going 11-of-17 in the circle.
- Brad Apgar grabbed three rollers. John DeFazio, Drew Borkowicz and Bromwell all grabbed two.
- Borkowicz caused a pair of turnovers for the Cavaliers.
- T.J. Ellis stopped five shots and scooped up three ground balls to earn the victory.
- It is the 12th time and fourth consecutive game that the Salisbury defense held a team to single digits in goals.
CABRINI GAME NOTES
- Max Drift scored a pair of goals for the Cavaliers.
- Mike Gerzabek, Jake Huey and Matt Loparo each added a goal.
- Huey grabbed a team-high six ground balls, Tommy DeLuca grabbed four rollers in the contest.
- In net, Rob Pensabene saved eight shots.
- With the victory, the Sea Gulls move on to the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Tournament
- Salisbury will match up against Illinois Wesleyan Titans on Saturday, May 22 at Sea Gull Stadium.
- The time of the quarterfinal contest is to be determined.