RADNOR, Pa. – The second-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team dominated the SUNY Poly Wildcats, 30-3, in the opening round of the 2021 NCAA Division III Tournament on Saturday. Salisbury's 30 goals set a new NCAA record for goals in a first or second-round tournament game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Two back-to-back unassisted goals by Luke Nestor and Jarrett Bromwell gave the Sea Gulls the early 2-0 lead at the beginning of the first quarter.
- A minute later, the Wildcats got on the board with a Shane Wyman goal.
- Salisbury responded with five goals led by hat tricks from both Nestor and Bromwell to take the 7-1 lead over SUNY Poly in just the first quarter
- The second quarter opened with three Griffin Moroney goals to extend the Sea Gulls lead to 10-1.
- With nine minutes left in the half, Edward Rosaschi collected SUNY Poly's second point on the day before Salisbury ended the half on a 6-0 run.
- Salisbury continued its torrid pace in the second half and continued the scoring run in the third quarter. The 16-0 run was capped by a Ryan Brown goal at the 2:15 mark of the third on an assist by Armstrong.
- A man-up goal from Shane Wyman ended the Salisbury flurry with 45 seconds left in the third quarter.
- Four Sea Gull goals in the fourth quarter provided more than enough cushion in the game. Charlie White put the final nail in the coffin for SUNY Poly with an unassisted goal with seven minutes left in the game.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury's 30 goals broke the previous high of 29 goals scored in an NCAA First or Second Round. It is also the most goals scored in an NCAA Tournament game by Salisbury, besting the 26 goals scored in a 26-8 win over Franklin & Marshall during the quarterfinals of the 2003 NCAA Tournament.
- Pierre Armstrong led the Sea Gulls in the first-round victory with a career-high 10 points off four goals and six assists.
- Jarrett Bromwell earned five goals while Griffin Moroney scored four goals and notched three assists.
- Luke Nestor and Cross Ferrara had a hat trick each.
- Ryan Brown and Isaac Thrasher each tallied a pair of goals. Josh Melton had four assists.
- Eoghan Sweeney scooped up a game-high eight ground balls after going 13-18 in the circle.
- Brett Malamphy (11-11) and Ham McPartland (8-8) both went undefeated from the X.
- Matt O'Callaghan, Hunter Mason and Braden Glushakow all grabbed four ground balls. McPartland grabbed seven rollers.
- Kevin Murphy and Glushakow caused three errors for the Wildcats.
- T.J. Ellis stopped three shots to earn the victory.
SUNY POLY GAME NOTES
- Shane Wyman shot a pair of goals for the Wildcats.
- Edward Rosaschi added a goal and Amelio Ripa added an assist.
- Matthew Johnson grabbed a team-high six ground balls, Robert Pollock grabbed three rollers in the contest.
- In net, Johnson saved 11 shots and caused three turnovers.
- With the victory, the Sea Gulls move on to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Salisbury will play the winner of the Cabrini-Grove City matchup on Sunday, May 16 at 2 p.m. at Cabrini University.