SALISBURY, Md. – The top-seeded and third-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team collected its 24th conference title after a 12-9 victory over the second-seeded and ninth-ranked Christopher Newport Captains on Saturday in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Championship.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Two back-to-back goals by Griffin Moroney from Jack Dowd gave the Sea Gulls the early 2-0 lead midway through the first quarter.
- With only 37 seconds remaining in the first, the Captains got on the board with a Brady Altobello goal.
- Dylan Rice tied up the game for the Captains with a man-up goal at the 11:35 mark in the second quarter.
- Salisbury responded with three goals from Dowd, Luke Nestor and Jarrett Bromwell to take the 5-2 lead with six and half minutes left in the half.
- An Altobello goal trimmed the lead to 5-3 before Dowd pushed the SU advantage back to three goals with an unassisted strike with just over a minute left in the first half.
- The two teams traded goals to start the second half before a strong effort in front of the crease by Moroney right before the third-quarter buzzer put Salisbury up 9-5 heading to the fourth quarter.
- Salisbury got up to its largest lead of the game, 10-5 at the 13:47 mark of the fourth quarter, after an unassisted goal by Bromwell.
- A pair of two-goal runs in the fourth quarter cut the Salisbury lead down to two, 11-9, in the waning moments of the game.
- Logan Posner put the final nail in the coffin for CNU with an empty-net goal with 11 seconds left to clinch the championship for Salisbury.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jack Dowd led the Sea Gulls in the championship victory with a career-high seven points off three goals and four assists.
- Griffin Moroney and Jarrett Bromwell also collected a hat trick each.
- Luke Nestor earned a pair of goals while Josh Melton dished out a pair of assists.
- Brett Malamphy was strong at the faceoff circle. He won 15-of-21 faceoffs and picked up a game-high 14 ground balls.
- Jackson Woodward, John DeFazio, Cross Ferrara, Kevin Murphy and Dowd all scooped up three ground balls in the contest.
- Brad Apgar caused three errors for the Captains.
- In his second career start, Matty Back stopped 10 shots to earn the victory.
- Salisbury earned 38 ground balls while CNU earned 26.
CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT GAME NOTES
- Dylan Rice, Will Stockhausen, Jackson Deal, Coby Auslander, and Brady Altobello all notched a pair of goals for the Captains.
- Ryan Young grabbed a team-high six ground balls, Rice grabbed four rollers in the contest.
- In net, Zac Hanway saved 12 shots and scooped up five ground balls.
- With the victory, the Sea Gulls gained the C2C's automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.
- The selection show will air Sunday, May 9 at 9 p.m. on NCAA.com.