NEWPORT NEWS, Va. –The second-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team completed the season sweep and picked up its ninth consecutive win with a 17-5 Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) victory over the eighth-ranked Christopher Newport Captains on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Christopher Newport opened the scoring 42 seconds into the game but Salisbury answered back only seconds later with a goal by John DeFazio. Salisbury tacked on two more goals before the Captains could add another goal to the board.
- With 2:40 on the clock, the scoring in the first quarter closed on a man-up goal by Josh Melton allowed Salisbury to take the early 4-2 lead.
- The second quarter opened with goals from both teams. Jarrett Bromwell completed his hat trick with back-to-back goals to bring the Salisbury lead to 7-3 with just over six minutes left in the first half.
- The Captains looked to close the gap with a man-up goal with 4:30 left in the half but Cross Ferrara responded with his own man-up goal to close out the half, 8-4.
- The third quarter left the Captains scoreless. The Sea Gulls tallied four goals including two from Ferrara to finish his hat trick. Logan Posner and Melton also tacked a goal onto the board to bring the score up to 12-4.
- Salisbury cushioned themselves with four more goals to pull away in the final quarter.
- With 4:37 left in regulation, CNU ended the 9-0 Salisbury run with a Brady Altobello goal to soften the Salisbury onslaught. Posner closed out the game with another point for the Sea Gulls only moments later,
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Josh Melton led the flock with four goals and three assists. With 311 points, Melton crossed to third all-time on the career points list over Sam Bradman '12 with 304 points.
- Jarrett Bromwell and Cross Ferrara each recorded a hat trick.
- Griffin Moroney and Pierre Armstrong had a pair of assists apiece.
- Brett Malamphy picked up a game-high 10 ground balls and won 12-of-20 faceoffs.
- Brad Apgar and John DeFazio scooped up four ground balls each.
- Matt O'Callaghan caused a pair of errors for the Captains.
- In net, T.J. Ellis stopped 11 shots.
- Salisbury scooped up 39 ground balls compared to Christopher Newport's 22.
CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT GAME NOTES
- Will Stockhausen and Brady Altobello notched a pair of goals each.
- Zack Sands scooped up the ball six times for CNU.
- Zac Hanway saved 15 shots in net for the Captains and scooped the ball up twice.
- Salisbury will continue on the road on Saturday, April 17 to St. Mary's City, Md. to take on St. Mary's in C2C action.
- The game is set to begin at 1 p.m.