SALISBURY, Md. – The second-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team collected its seventh-consecutive win of the season with a 25-12 thrashing of the fifth-ranked Christopher Newport Captains in Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) action on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter opened with an unassisted man-up goal by Drew Miller to give CNU the early 1-0 lead two minutes into the contest.
- Just a minute later, Jarrett Bromwell tied the game at one with an unassisted strike.
- Back-to-back goals 30 seconds apart by Griffin Moroney and Ryan Brown put Salisbury up, 3-1, seven minutes into the game.
- CNU capitalized on another man-up opportunity with an Alex Brendes goal to trim the Salisbury lead down to 3-2.
- Salisbury closed out the first quarter on a three-goal run with unassisted goals from Bromwell, Cross Ferrara and Luke Harbottle.
- The teams traded goals back-and-forth throughout the second quarter before a pair of Salisbury three-goal runs gave the Sea Gulls the 15-7 lead heading to halftime.
- Salisbury extended its lead to 17-7 to begin the second half behind a Bromwell goal off a Josh Melton assist and a Ferrara unassisted goal.
- CNU got the lead back down to single-digits with a Jackson Deal unassisted goal but Salisbury answered back with four unanswered goals, highlighted by a Bromwell man-up goal off a Melton assist to push Salisbury up 21-8 with 3:47 left in the third quarter.
- The Captains closed the third quarter out with a Will Stockhausen goal but Salisbury responded with a pair of goals to begin the final frame from Moroney and Ferrara.
- With five minutes left in play, Logan Posner earned a man-up goal for Salisbury. Minutes later Quinton Young followed to bring the Sea Gulls to their biggest lead of the game, 25-11, with just over two minutes left in the contest.
- CNU closed out the game with a Phoenix Hines goal in the last 1:36 of the game but it was too little, too late for the Captains.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- 11 different Sea Gulls scored in the victory.
- Jarrett Bromwell paced the scoring for Salisbury with seven goals to set a new career-high.
- Griffin Moroney and Cross Ferrara each tallied four goals.
- Josh Melton led the maroon and gold with a game-high six assists to tie a career-best. Bromwell, Moroney and Ferrara each had a pair of assists.
- Ryan Brown and Melton each netted a pair of goals.
- Brett Malamphy scooped up a game-high 14 ground balls and won 19-of-28 faceoffs.
- John DeFazio and Kevin Murphy each picked up five ground balls while Jackson Woodward scooped up four.
- Matt O'Callaghan led the defense with a game-high three caused turnovers. O'Callaghan also grabbed three ground balls.
- Salisbury won 23-of-40 faceoff attempts.
- In net, T.J. Ellis stopped 10 shots and scooped up the ball three times.
- Salisbury shot the ball 45 times compared to CNU's 35.
CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT GAME NOTES
- Alex Brendes led the Captains with three goals.
- Jack Cook and Miller both scooped up three ground balls.
- Zac Hanway saved four shots in net for the Captains.
- Salisbury continues at home on Wednesday, April 7 with a C2C match-up against the St. Mary's Seahawks.
- The opening faceoff is set for 4 p.m.at Sea Gull Stadium.