Posted: Mar 27, 2021
SALISBURY, Md. – The fourth-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team collected its sixth-consecutive win with a 26-6 victory over the Stockton Ospreys on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first period saw five unanswered goals from the Sea Gulls in the first seven minutes of play. Cross Ferrara and Josh Melton each put away a pair of goals during the run.
- At the 8:55 mark, Eric Ellis collected an unassisted goal to put the Ospreys on the board.
- The Sea Gulls doubled up the run with another five-goal flurry to end the first quarter. Griffin Moroney notched two goals off assists by Melton and Pierre Armstrong in the first while Melton closed the quarter out with an unassisted strike to net a first-quarter hat trick.
- In the opening minutes of the second period, Jack Dowd and Jarrett Bromwell teamed up to collect three more goals for Salisbury to put the team up 13-1 with 5:33 left in the first half,
- In the last two minutes of the half, the Sea Gulls added another five-goal run including a goal from the senior face-off Brett Malamphy and a man-up goal from Ferrara to stretch the advantage up to 18-2 at the halftime break.
- Not even a minute into the second half, Dowd tallied a man-up goal after a pass from Logan Posner.
- In the minutes to follow each team scored two goals apiece to bring the score to 21-4.
- Bromwell earned his sixth goal of the day to close out the third period with Salisbury up 22-4.
- The final period saw each team trade goals in the first four minutes of the quarter.
- The game ended on two back-to-back freshman goals by Charlie White and Joe Carozza to end the scoring for Salisbury.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jarrett Bromwell paced the scoring for Salisbury with six goals to match his career-high set this past Wednesday against Susquehanna.
- Josh Melton and Cross Ferrara each tallied four goals apiece.
- Griffin Moroney added a hat trick while Jack Dowd put away a pair of goals.
- Melton led the Sea Gulls with three assists. Jackson Woodward and Dowd each dished out a pair of assists.
- Brett Malamphy scooped up a game-high nine ground balls; Kevin Murphy and Hunter Mason each scooped up four.
- Murphy led the defense with a game-high five caused turnovers.
- Salisbury won 21-of-32 faceoff attempts with Malamphy going 17-of-22 at the X. Drew Downing went 3-of-4 at the circle.
- In goal, T.J. Ellis stopped five shots, Zj Shahin stopped two in relief of Ellis.
- Salisbury shot the ball 75 times compared to Stockton's 28.
STOCKTON GAME NOTES
- Joey Tiernan and Eric Ellis each had a pair of goals.
- Colin Bernstein had 11 saves in net for the Ospreys.
- Salisbury continues at home on Saturday, April 3 with a top-five Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference showdown against the No. 3 Christopher Newport Captains.
- The opening faceoff is set for 4 p.m.