SALISBURY, Md. – The fourth-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team pitched a second-half shutout en route to an 11-4 victory over the fifth-ranked Cabrini Cavaliers to avenge the home loss in the 2019 NCAA Semifinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took 51 seconds for Salisbury to get on the board. Cross Ferrara scored the opening goal of the game on a bounce shot past the Cabrini keeper.
- Ferrara's goal started a three-goal run for Salisbury. Just over five minutes into the game, Jack Dowd went top shelf off an assist from Logan Posner. Four minutes later, Salisbury scored on transition when Brad Apgar forced a turnover and Jackson Woodward outlet to an open Ferrara to put SU up 3-0.
- Cabrini scored its first goal of the game with two and a half left on the first-quarter clock on a Drew Supinski goal.
- The transition game by Salisbury two and half minutes into the second quarter put the Sea Gulls back up three scores. Defense in front of the crease by Apgar provided another Ferrara goal.
- Cabrini quickly responded 30 seconds later with another Supinski goal.
- Pierre Armstrong and Josh Melton teamed up to bring the SU advantage back up to three, 5-2 with 5:32 left in the first half.
- Back-to-back goals by Cabrini's Max Drift 40 seconds apart brought the Salisbury lead down to 5-4 heading into halftime.
- Seemingly fired up after the break, Salisbury started to pull away in the third quarter to the tune of five unanswered goals in the quarter.
- SU took advantage of a man-up opportunity to start the scoring in the second half when Jarrett Bromwell found the back of the net off an assist by Melton.
- A pair of Dowd goals along with markers from Melton and Griffin Moroney would put Salisbury up 10-4 in the third quarter.
- The defense stymied any chance that Cabrini had to get a goal in the second half, including T.J. Ellis stopping a wraparound attempt by laying down on the ball to get to the stop at the seven-minute mark in the third quarter.
- Ferrara would cap off the game with an unassisted goal with 1:24 left in the contest to give SU the victory.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Cross Ferrara and Jack Dowd paced the scoring for Salisbury. Ferrara tallied four goals while Dowd netted a trifecta of tallies.
- Josh Melton dished out three assists and added a goal.
- Jackson Woodward handed out a pair of assists. He also picked up five ground balls.
- Collectively, Salisbury shut down the Cabrini offense in the second half. The effort was led by Drew Borkowicz, John DeFazio, Brad Apgar and T.J. Ellis.
- Borkowicz caused a team-high three turnovers.
- Apgar scooped up a game-best seven ground balls and caused two turnovers.
- DeFazio recorded three ground balls, two caused turnovers and an assist.
- In goal, Ellis stopped a career-high 14 shots.
- Salisbury won 10-of-19 faceoff attempts with Brett Malamphy going 9-of-14 at the X.
- Salisbury shot the ball 50 times compared to Cabrini's 43.
CABRINI GAME NOTES
- Max Drift and Drew Supinski each scored two goals for the Cavaliers.
- Matt Sageder tallied 24 saves in net.
- Salisbury will be back in action on Sunday at home when the Sea Gulls hosts the Colorado College Tigers.
- The opening faceoff from Sea Gull Stadium is set for 1 p.m.