SALISBURY. Md - The No. 4 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team collected its first home victory of 2021 on Tuesday with a 24-7 win over the Mary Washington Eagles in Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury scored early and often in the first 20 minutes of the game to get out to a 10-0 lead.
- Salisbury got on the board first with back-to-back Jarrett Bromwell goals four minutes into the contest.
- In its only man-up opportunity of the game, Griffin Moroney went five-hole on the UMW goalkeeper after an assist by Josh Melton.
- Unassisted goals by Bromwell, Jack Dowd and Cross Ferrara along with another Melton goal with a Dowd assist put Salisbury up at 7-0.
- Melton and Ferrara found the back of the net a minute apart to start the scoring in the second quarter.
- Luke Harbottle capped off the scoring flurry with an unassisted goal to put Salisbury up 10-0 three minutes into the second quarter.
- J.D. Nozemack scored the first goal for Mary Washington with 10:37 left in the first half but Salisbury responded with goals by Bromwell and Ferrara to allow SU to take a 12-1 halftime lead over UMW.
- The Sea Gulls overpowered the Eagles in the third quarter. Ferrara added six goals to his tally in the third quarter.
- Isaac Thrasher and Ty Delancellotti scored a minute and a half apart to open the final period.
- Mary Washington cut into the Salisbury lead with four goals in the following four minutes to trim the deficit to 23-7.
- Thrasher scored the final goal of the game with just under four minutes left in regulation to take the conference victory, 24-7.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Cross Ferrara finished the day with 10 points off of nine goals and an assist. He also scooped up three ground balls.
- Josh Melton tallied five goals with three assists to total eight points. Jack Dowd also earned three assists for the Sea Gulls and added a goal.
- Jarrett Bromwell added four goals to the board along with two ground balls and caused a turnover. Isaac Thrasher collected a pair of goals.
- Griffin Moroney, Ty Delancellotti, and Luke Harbottle each earned a goal apiece. Moroney also had an assist.
- Eoghan Sweeney picked up a game-high seven ground balls and went 7-for-7 in faceoffs. Brett Malamphy scooped up six ground balls and won 10 of his 13 faceoff attempts.
- Brad Apgar and John DeFazio both grabbed three ground balls. Apgar caused two turnovers.
- Ham McPartland picked up three ground balls. Moroney, Jackson Woodward, Josh Sanchez all picked up two ground balls each.
- T.J. Ellis recorded six saves in three quarters for the Sea Gulls. Matty Back recorded four saves in relief of Ellis.
- The Sea Gulls went 24-of-33 in faceoffs.
- Salisbury held the 49-28 advantage in ground balls.
MARY WASHINGTON GAME NOTES
- J.D. Nozemack led the Eagles with four points on three goals and an assist. Nozemack also scooped up three ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Cameron Walker notched three goals.
- Riley Green recorded 15 saves in the net for Mary Washington.
- Salisbury continues at home on Friday, March 19 with a top-five battle with the Cabrini Cavaliers.
- The game is set to begin at 4 p.m.