BUENA VISTA, Va. - The No. 5 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team rebounded in a big way after the season-opening loss last week with a 30-10 rout of the Southern Virginia Knights on Saturday to open Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got on the board first with back-to-back Cross Ferrara goals three minutes into the contest.
- After Ferrara assisted a Josh Melton goal, the Knights responded only seconds later with an unassisted goal from Eric Norr.
- The Sea Gulls ended the first quarter scoring seven of the last eight goals of the period to storm ahead, 9-2.
- The second quarter mirrored the first with a three-goal run from the maroon and gold to take a 12-2 lead.
- At the ten-minute mark, Norr found Shawn Lamb to add a goal on the board for the Knights.
- After taking turns adding points to the board, the Sea Gulls added three more goals to push their lead 16-4 at the half, courtesy of unassisted goals by Jarrett Bromwell and Jack Dowd.
- Southern Virginia opened the second half with a pair of goals but Salisbury started to overpower SVU with an eight-goal run to get out to a 24-6 lead with just over five minutes left in the third quarter.
- Ferrara tallied his ninth goal of the game to end the third quarter and his 10th goal of the contest to open fourth to continue the Salisbury flurry.
- Man-up goals by Griffin Moroney and Logan Posner bookended back-to-back goals by Joe Carozza allowed Salisbury to hit the 30-goal mark and take the conference victory.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Cross Ferrara finished the day with 11 points off of 10 goals and an assist. All 17 of Ferrara's shots were on goal. He also scooped up three ground balls.
- Josh Melton dished out four assists with five goals to total nine points. Ryan Brown added two assists.
- Griffin Moroney and Jarrett Bromwell each collected three goals while Joe Carozza and Logan Posner each notched two goals.
- Jack Dowd, Luke Harbottle, Brad Greik, Jackson Woodward and Ryan Brown scored a goal apiece.
- Dowd, Moroney, Murphy, Posner and Pierre Armstrong all tallied an assist on the stat sheet.
- Brett Malamphy scooped up a game-high 11 ground balls with 15 faceoff wins. Eoghan Sweeney, Kevin Murphy, Noah Kness, and Ham McPartland all grabbed four ground balls apiece.
- Greik caused a pair of turnovers in the defensive midfield.
- T.J. Ellis recorded nine saves for the Sea Gulls.
- The Sea Gulls went 34-of-43 in faceoffs
SOUTHERN VIRGINIA GAME NOTES
- Ty Veres led the Knights with five points on three goals and two assists. Veres also scooped up three ground balls.
- Shawn Lamb notched two goals and a pair of assists.
- Dalon Hampshire and Nick Bair earned four ground balls.
- Hampshire recorded 17 saves in the net for Southern Virginia.
- Salisbury is back at home for the first time in 2021 on Tuesday, March 16 to take on the Mary Washington Eagles in C2C action.
- The game is set to begin at 4 p.m.