Posted: Mar 06, 2021
LYNCHBURG, Va. - The No. 1 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team stumbled on the road in its season opener against the No. 10 Lynchburg Hornets, 10-8 on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got on the board first with a Cross Ferrara goal two and half minutes into the contest.
- After Lynchburg tied the game at one, Salisbury responded with back-to-back goals by Griffin Moroney and Jarrett Bromwell to close the first quarter with a 3-1 lead.
- The Sea Gulls got out to their biggest lead of the game with five minutes left in the first half when Josh Melton found Ferrara net a goal to extend their lead to 4-1.
- The Hornets closed the gap before halftime with back-to-back goals from Quintin Ricci and Kyle Lewis to cut into the Sea Gull lead, 4-3.
- Brad Greik opened the second half with an unassisted goal to push Salisbury's lead back to two, 5-3.
- Lynchburg would then go onto a three-goal run in the third quarter to take a 6-5 lead.
- With two minutes left in the third, Jack Dowd and Bromwell teamed up to tie the game six.
- The final quarter opened with a Lynchburg goal by Brett Rogers that was responded to with a goal by Moroney just minutes later to tie the game at seven.
- Lynchburg went on a two-goal run to take a 9-7 lead with goals by Tye Mitchell and Rogers with 10:09 remaining.
- Ferrara completed the hat trick two minutes later to cut the Hornets lead back to one, 9-8.
- Lynchburg scored its final goal netted by Jack Speers after an assist by Kyle Lewis to ensure the upset.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Cross Ferrara finished the day with a hat trick.
- Griffin Moroney and Jarrett Bromwell each collected two goals while Brad Greik tallied a goal.
- Josh Melton led the pack with two assists. Pierre Armstrong also earned an assist on the stat sheet.
- Ham McPartland scooped up a team-high five ground balls. Drew Downing and Noah Kness both grabbed four ground balls apiece.
- Brad Apgar, Kevin Murphy and Kness each caused a pair of turnovers.
- T.J. Ellis recorded six saves for the Sea Gulls.
- The Sea Gulls edged the Hornets 10-8 in caused turnovers, 37-32 in shots and 12-10 in faceoff wins.
LYNCHBURG GAME NOTES
- Brett Rogers led the Hornets with four points on two goals and two assists. Rodgers also scooped up a pair of ground balls.
- Riley Mitchell and Kyle Lewis notched two goals as well. Lewis also grabbed an assist.
- Quintin Ricci earned a game-high 10 ground balls and picked up a goal. Patrick Moore collected seven ground balls.
- Moore recorded 10 saves in the net for Lynchburg.
- The Hornets edged the Sea Gulls 20-19 in clears and 32-21 in ground balls.
- Salisbury remains on the road to Buena Vista, Va. to take on the Southern Virginia Knights in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference opener.
- The game is set to begin at 1 p.m.