SALISBURY, Md. – Playing its second game in as many days, the top-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team steamrolled the Rhodes Lynx, 22-5, on Monday.
Final Score: No. 1 Salisbury 22, Rhodes 5
Records: Salisbury (7-0) | Rhodes (5-2)
Location: Sea Gull Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury came out firing to the tune of four unanswered goals in the opening quarter. Cross Ferrara put away the first goal after a ground ball pick up in the midfield by Kevin Murphy.
- Just over 30 seconds later, Pierre Armstrong doubled Salisbury lead to 2-0. Later in the first, Brad Greik powered his way through the Rhodes defense and dished it off to Ferrara who put away his second goal of the quarter. Just before the quarter whistle, Josh Melton scored on a wraparound to close out the first-quarter scoring.
- The Salisbury run continued in the second inning as three goals pushed the Salisbury lead up to seven. Griffin Moroney netted the first goal of the quarter in the 17th minute of the game followed by back-to-back tallies by Melton and Logan Posner.
- Rhodes got on the board in the middle parts of the second after a Salisbury penalty. Tyler Pellegrino and Ryan Dancy converted Rhodes' man-up chance to trim the Salisbury lead to 7-2.
- However, Salisbury answered the Rhodes goals with two goals right before halftime. Armstrong notched a goal with 2:07 on the clock followed by an unassisted Jarrett Bromwell man-up goal to give Salisbury the 9-2 lead.
- Salisbury started the second half on fire as five goals were put away in the first 5:35 of the third quarter. Two Melton goals with unassisted goals by Ferrara, Jackson Woodward and Isaac Thrasher capped off the scoring flurry for Salisbury and stretched the lead to 14-2.
- Ryan Dancy ended the 7-0 Salisbury run with an unassisted goal with 8:10 but Salisbury pushed the advantage back up to 12 with Melton's fifth goal of the contest.
- After Rhodes opened the fourth quarter with a Matt Perez goal, Salisbury put up four unanswered goals by Posner, Ferrara, Armstrong and Luke Harbottle gave the Sea Gulls the 19-4 lead.
- Rhodes converted another man-up opportunity with an Addison Mueller goal but Salisbury closed the game strong with goals by John Thomas, Josh Sanchez and Colin Phipps to close out the 22-5 home win.
- Josh Melton led the Salisbury charge with a season-high five goals on nine shots. He also scooped up three ground balls, caused a turnover and dished out an assist.
- Cross Ferrara notched four goals, reeled in two ground balls and handed out an assist.
- Pierre Armstrong also recorded a season-best with a hat trick.
- Logan Posner netted a pair of goals and assists with four ground balls.
- Kevin Murphy secured six ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Joe Saulino and Drew Borkowicz each caused two Rhodes turnovers.
- Salisbury won 24 of the 30 faceoffs. Brett Malamphy went 10-of-13 in the circle while Eoghan Sweeney went 6-for-6 at the X. T.J. Logue won 5-of-8 chances while Tyler Thompson won all three of his faceoffs.
- T.J. Ellis made eight saves in three-quarters of action. Carver Skarnulis rounded out the day with three saves.
- Brendan Roberts stopped 20 of the 39 shots that came his way for Rhodes.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Josh Melton passed Dave Cottle '77 on the all-time assists list. Melton now sits sixth with 125 assists in his career.