SPARKS, Md. – The top-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team collected a 22-4 win at the U.S. Lacrosse headquarters on Sunday over the Ohio Wesleyan Battling Bishops to extend its season-opening win streak to six games.
Final Score: No. 1 Salisbury 22, Ohio Wesleyan 4
Record: Salisbury (6-0) | Ohio Wesleyan (3-2)
Location: Tierney Field - Sparks, Md. (U.S. Lacrosse)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the initial faceoff won by Brett Malamphy, Emory Wongus was able to flick the ball over to Jarrett Bromwell for the first goal of the day only a minute into the game. Salisbury quickly doubled up its lead after an Ohio Wesleyan turnover allowed a Gavin Dembeck tally.
- Just over a minute later, Ohio Wesleyan cut the Salisbury lead in half on a Lucas Smith goal.
- Salisbury responded to the Ohio Wesleyan goal with three consecutive tallies to finish the quarter on a 5-1 lead.
- The Sea Gulls continued their dominance in the second quarter with five goals to extend the scoring run to eight before the halftime whistle and finish out the half with a 10-1 lead over the Battling Bishops.
- Cross Ferrara, Griffin Moroney, and Josh Melton all played important roles in the second, Ferrara added two goals while Moroney and Melton each tacked on a goal and an assist. Luke Nestor finished the quarter with an unassisted goal in the final two and half minutes of the half.
- The third quarter started off a bit slower with several turnovers by both teams. The Sea Gulls did not see their first goal until a little over four minutes into the quarter but quickly added a second goal on a man-up opportunity less than a minute after by Moroney on a Melton assist.
- The Battling Bishops stopped the Sea Gull's 10-0 scoring run with just eight seconds left in the third quarter with a man-up goal by Henry Hasenberg.
- The final quarter started with a 5-0 scoring flurry by Salisbury to extend the lead to 17-2.
- After Ohio Wesleyan put away a goal in the middle goings of the fourth, Salisbury answered with four answered goals. John Thomas, Braden Glushakow, Van Parker and Jace Menendez all scored a goal only seconds between each other from the five-minute mark till only three minutes left of play.
- With one and a half minutes left, Ohio Wesleyan scored on a man-up but was quickly answered with a goal by Josh Sanchez only 30 seconds later to close out the game, 22-4.
- Cross Ferrara and Griffin Moroney led the Sea Gulls with three goals along with an assist. Ferrara scooped up two ground balls and caused two turnovers.
- Josh Melton paced the Salisbury offense with three assists, three ground balls and a goal.
- Jace Menendez, Logan Posner, and Gavin Dembeck each put up a pair of goals for Salisbury.
- Drew Borkowicz and Zachary Timmons notched two caused turnovers apiece.
- T.J. Ellis tallied three saves in his time in the net. Chandler Dabbs stopped two shots in net while Brandon Warren added one save.
- Brett Malamphy won 14-of-15 faceoffs and picked up a team-high eight ground balls.
- Luke Harbottle scooped up four ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Salisbury was able to move the ball effectively against OWU, converting 14-of-15 clears.
- Joey Sichenzia recorded 15 saves for the Battling Bishops.