HOBOKEN, N.J. – The top-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team came back from a first-half deficit to collect a 14-8 road win on Wednesday over the Stevens Ducks to extend its season-opening win streak to five games.
Final Score: No. 1 Salisbury 14, No. 20 Stevens 8
Record: Salisbury (5-0) | Stevens (3-2)
Location: DeBaun Athletic Complex - Hoboken, N.J.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a blocked shot by Stevens, Drew Borkowicz scooped up a ground ball that helped Salisbury with a quick opening goal by Josh Melton in the first two minutes of play.
- Stevens answered with back-to-back goals a minute apart by Ryan Gebhardt and Brendan Monteleone.
- With five minutes left in the first, Cross Ferrara tied the game at two with a goal.
- The two teams traded goals to start the second quarter. Gebhardt netted the opening goal of the quarter to give Stevens the 3-2 lead but Salisbury responded 24 seconds later with a man-up goal by Logan Posner from Melton to nod the game up at three.
- Stevens ended the half on a three-goal run to take a 6-3 lead over Salisbury. Two unassisted Gebhardt goals bookended a Shawn Coulter goal.
- Stevens continued the run into the second half with a Will Reed goal a minute and a half into the half to pull ahead, 7-3.
- Salisbury cut into the Stevens lead with a Griffin Moroney goal assisted by Melton.
- Monteleone picked up another goal for Stevens to stretch the lead back up to 8-4, five minutes into the second half.
- After Monteleone's goal, the Sea Gulls started a 10-goal surge to down the Ducks.
- Moroney started the run with an unassisted goal less than a minute after Monteleone's.
- Ferrara put away back-to-back goals to pull Salisbury within one, 8-7, with five minutes left in the third quarter.
- After Ferrara's goal, Stevens' bench was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty. Moroney capitalized on the penalty with a man-up goal to nod the game at eight.
- Goals by Moroney, Melton and Posner pushed Salisbury's advantage to 11-8 at the end of the third quarter.
- Stevens made a goalie change to start the fourth quarter but Salisbury tallied three insurance goals in the final frame by Pierre Armstrong and two Ferrara goals to extend the lead to 14-8.
- Cross Ferrara led the team with five goals for the Sea Gulls along with two assists, two ground balls and a caused turnover.
- Griffin Moroney put away four goals and scooped up a pair of ground balls.
- Josh Melton and Logan Posner both put up two goals for Salisbury. Melton added two assists.
- T.J. Ellis racked up 12 saves in the goal, including nine stops in the second half.
- Brett Malamphy won 10-of-21 faceoffs and picked up a team-high six ground balls.
- Jackson Woodward scooped up four ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Brad Apgar and Drew Borkowicz each picked up three ground balls. Apgar and Brad Greik each caused two turnovers.
- Ryan Gebhardt scored four goals for the Ducks
- Salisbury will be back in action on Sunday, March 8 when they travel to the U.S. Lacrosse headquarters in Sparks, Md. to take on the Ohio Northern Battling Bishops.
- The game is set for 1 p.m.