SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 1 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team rolled to an 11-5 win on Saturday over the No. 10 Gettysburg Bullets to push its season-opening win streak to three games.
Final Score: No. 1 Salisbury 11, No. 10 Gettysburg 5
Record: Salisbury (3-0) | Gettysburg (2-1)
Location: Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium - Gettysburg, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Salisbury jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first five minutes of the game. Griffin Moroney started the scoring for the Sea Gulls when he buried a shot off a pass from Emory Wongus for his first tally of the day
The Sea Gulls would then go on a seven-goal run after the Moroney goal. Logan Posner would start the run with 7:41 left in the first quarter. Cross Ferrara scored only three minutes after Posner when he would sneak a high shot past the Bullets goalkeeper. Moroney then tallied his second goal of the day a minute later off a nice dodge from the top. Luke Nestor would then get on the board after his goal with 2:37 left in the first quarter to extend the Sea Gull lead to 5-0 after one quarter.
Pierre Armstrong then found an open Ferrara who would finish his shot for his second goal of the day, only 40 seconds into the second. Josh Melton would score after a nice one-on-one effort with 3:57 remaining in the first half.
Jarrett Bromwell tallied another Sea Gull goal with under two minutes remaining in the half off an assist from Wongus.
Gettysburg ended the eight-goal Sea Gull run with three seconds remaining in the first half on a fast-break goal from Jack Fletcher off a pass from Connor Leach to cut the Salisbury lead to 8-1.
Wongus wasted no time getting the scoring started coming out of the break. 45 seconds into the third quarter, Wongus scored at a tough angle off a great individual effort to extend the lead to 9-1.
Gettysburg had a two-goal run of its own after the opening goal of the second half. Michael McCormick answered the Wongus goal with 11:32 left in the third to start the run. A minute later, Kieran Ward scored off an assist from George Raymond to cut the Salisbury lead to 9-3 at the end of the third quarter.
Moroney and Posner would respond to the Gettysburg run by scoring two more goals for the Sea Gulls to start the fourth Moroney's third goal of the game came off an assist from Armstrong with 13:25 on the fourth-quarter clock. Two and a half minutes later, Posner netted his second goal of the day off an assist from Ferrara with 11:56 remaining in the game to extend the Sea Gull lead 11-3.
Gettysburg would score the games final two goals. Fletcher added his second goal off a pass from Brian Kolen with 10:57 left. Then Kolen scored with 6:21 remaining in the game by netting his first of the day off a pass from Andrew Horn.
- Griffin Moroney paced the Salisbury offense with three goals on the day. Moroney has scored three or more goals in all three of Salisbury's games so far this season.
- Cross Ferrara and Logan Posner each added two goals in the Sea Gull win.
- Emory Wongus tallied a goal and two assists
- T.J. Ellis saw action for the entire game in net. Ellis made six saves to record his third win of the year.
- Pierre Armstrong dished out a pair of assists.
- Drew Borkowicz and Brad Apgar led the Salisbury defense with two caused turnovers apiece. Apgar reeled in six ground balls while Borkowicz scooped up three ground balls.
- Brett Malamphy went 11-for-18 in face-offs with five ground-ball pickups.
- Jack Fletcher scored two goals and Brian Kolen would add one goal and one assist for Gettysburg.
Salisbury will return home next Saturday to battle the Coast Guard Bears.
The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. at Sea Gull Stadium.