SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 1 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team opened the 2020 home slate with a 16-10 win over the No. 14 Lynchburg Hornets on Saturday.
Final Score: No. 1 Salisbury 16, No. 14 Lynchburg 10
Record: Salisbury (2-0) | Lynchburg (0-1)
Location: Sea Gull Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first five minutes of the game. Griffin Moroney netted back-to-back goals 45 seconds apart to open the Salisbury scoring in the second minute of the game. Jarrett Bromwell buried a shot crossing in front of the cage for Salisbury's three-goal lead.
- After a Salisbury penalty, Lynchburg put its first goal on the board with 10:37 on the clock with a Brett Rogers goal.
- Bromwell responded to Lynchburg's goal four minutes later with a tally to put the Sea Gulls back up three.
- Lynchburg went on a three-goal run to tie the game in the opening parts of the second half, behind back-to-back goals by Nate Shafer.
- Salisbury closed out the first half on a 4-0 scoring run. Logan Posner started the run with a goal on a rebound with 5:41 left on the first-half clock. Bromwell tallied a man-up goal three minutes later off an assist from Josh Melton. Posner and Moroney went back-to-back to end the half. Moroney's goal was a wrap-around, behind-the-back goal with 13 seconds left before halftime.
- Salisbury added three more goals in the first four minutes of the second half. Emory Wongus notched the first goal of the second half with a shot slotted in the corner of the goal. Ferrara and Maroney would net goals to push Salisbury's lead to 11-4 over Lynchburg.
- The teams traded goals to close out the third but Salisbury maintained a 13-6 lead over Lynchburg heading to the final frame.
- Trammel Robinson scored the first goal of the fourth quarter to cut the Salisbury lead to 13-7 but the Sea Gulls responded with three consecutive goals in the middle part of the quarter. Luke Nestor and Moroney teamed up for a goal, sandwiched by unassisted goals by Bromwell and Pierre Armstrong.
- Lynchburg wouldn't go down without a fight as the Hornets scored three straight goals to end the game.
- Griffin Moroney and Jarrett Bromwell paced the Salisbury offense with four goals apiece. Maroney added an assist and a pair of ground balls.
- Cross Ferrara and Logan Posner each notched two goals for the Sea Gulls. Posner also collected an assist.
- Brett Malamphy dominated the faceoff circle, winning 21-of-22 faceoffs. Malamphy also scooped up 16 ground balls.
- T.J. Ellis got nod for the entire game in net. Ellis made seven saves to tally his second win of the year.
- Josh Melton dished out a pair of assists.
- Noah Kness and Brad Greik each caused two Lynchburg turnovers.
- Kevin Murphy reeled in five ground balls.
- Trammel Robinson scored three goals for Lynchburg.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- At halftime, Salisbury honored members of the 1995 NCAA Championship team that won the second of 12 national championships.