LANCASTER, Pa. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team collected its third win of the 2021 campaign with a 66-56 win on the road over the Lancaster Bible Chargers on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 7-2 to Lancaster Bible in the early goings, Salisbury tied the game at 9-9 at the 12:47 mark in the first half on Gary Briddell jumper. The two teams were tied five more times in the first half.
- With less than a minute left in the half, Johnny Fierstein sunk a jump shot to tie the game at 26, the sixth tie of the first half.
- SU took its first lead of the game, 29-26. on its final possession of the first half when Fierstein found Paul Garcia open in the corner for a three.
- Salisbury extended its lead to 38-26 over Lancaster Bible behind a 9-0 run to start the second half. During the five-plus minute run, Lancaster Bible went 0-for-8 from the field and the Salisbury defense forced a pair of turnovers.
- The Sea Gulls got out to their largest lead of the game, 13 points, twice during the second half. Garcia split a pair of free throws to push the Sea Gull advantage to 53-40. After a Charger layup on the following possession, Fierstein drained two free throws to extend the lead to 55-42.
- Lancaster Bible cut the lead back to single-digits twice in the final 2:30 minutes of the game but Salisbury's lead was too much for LBC.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Paul Garcia paced the scoring for Salisbury. He notched 15 points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field and 3-of-4 from the three along with a pair of rebounds.
- Johnny Fierstein recorded a game-best eight assists. He added 13 points and eight rebounds.
- Jordan Oates registered his third double-double of the season behind an 18-rebound, 10-point effort off the bench,
- In his first start of the season, Gary Briddell earned nine points, three blocks and two assists.
- Salisbury shot 43.4 percent (23-53) from the field.
- Salisbury outrebounded Lancaster Bible at a 45-34 clip.
LANCASTER BIBLE GAME NOTES
- Seth Beers led his team with 15 points for the Chargers. Beers also notched five rebounds and a steal.
- Grant Sareyka (12) also reached double-digit points for Lancaster Bible. He added two steals and a pair of rebounds.
- Andrew Zentner collected nine rebounds for the Chargers.
- Salisbury's defense stifled Lancaster Bible the entire game. LBC shot 27.9 percent (19-68) from the floor. Beers' three-pointer at 14:03 in the second half was LBC's lone made three-pointer of the game on 23 attempts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- It is the lowest opponent field-goal percentage since SU's 73-31 win over Frostburg St. on Dec. 5, 2015. The Sea Gulls held the Bobcats to 20.0 percent (11-55) from the field.
- It is the lowest opponent three-point field-goal percentage with five or more attempts since Salisbury's shutout Wesley from three (0-7) on Jan. 28, 2012.
- Salisbury's four-game road trip continues on Saturday, Feb. 6 in St. Mary's City, Md. against the St. Mary's Seahawks.
- The game is set to begin at 2 p.m.