Posted: Jan 20, 2021
SALISBURY, Md. – In the first athletic contest in 333 days at Salisbury University, the SU men's basketball team prevailed over the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins, 67-58, on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got out to its biggest lead of the game, 25-10, in the first 10 minutes of the game behind a 21-6 scoring run. The run was capped off two three-pointers by Paul Garcia and Rob Goyena with a Johnny Fierstein jumper sandwiched in the middle.
- Virginia Wesleyan took advantage of three Salisbury turnovers on four possessions to cut the Salisbury lead to two points, 25-23, with 4:19 left in the first half.
- Salisbury was able to push the lead back to six points, 33-27, before the halftime break. The run was highlighted by two three-pointers from the top of the arc by Jordan Oates.
- A Goyena three-pointer stretched the Salisbury advantage back to double-digits, 41-31, with 15:28 to go in regulation.
- After Virginia Wesleyan closed the gap down to 41-37 with 14:17 to go in the game, the Marlins went cold from the field. The team went 0-5 with a pair of turnovers in an eight-minute stretch in the second half.
- Salisbury capitalized on the Virginia Wesleyan scoring drought to keep the Marlins at bay for the rest of the game. The Marlins trimmed the Sea Gull lead back down to five points on four occasions in the final four minutes of the game but a Fierstein layup and four Oates free throws sealed the win for SU.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- In his SU debut, Jordan Oates led the way with a game-high 23 points and 15 rebounds to earn his first career double-double. Oates went 7-of-13 from the field and 5-of-7 beyond the arc. He knocked down all four of his free throw attempts.
- Brandon Craig and Johnny Fierstein also recorded double figures for the maroon and gold. Craig notched 14 points on 6-of-9 shooting with five rebounds and a pair of blocks. Fierstein scored 11 points, eight of which came in the second half. Fierstein also dished out a game-best five assists and pulled down four rebounds.
- Paul Garcia and Rob Goyena chipped in with eight and six points respectively.
- Jasiah Perry reeled in five boards.
- As a team, Salisbury was 24-of-50 (48.0 percent) from the floor, 9-of-23 (39.1 percent) from three and 10-of-16 (62.5 percent) from the charity stripe.
- Salisbury outrebounded Virginia Wesleyan at a 40-25 clip.
VIRGINIA WESLEYAN GAME NOTES
- Tim Fisher led the Marlins with 13 points and five rebounds.
- Tyree Golston tallied 12 points, three steals, three rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Virginia Wesleyan shot 38.9 percent (21-54) from the field.
- Salisbury will conclude its two-game season-opening homestand on Saturday when the team welcomes the St. Mary's Seahawks to Maggs Physical Activites Center.
- The tip is scheduled for 2 p.m.