FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team fell to Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) for Mary Washington, 84-58, in the regular-season finale on Wednesday.
Final Score: Mary Washington 84, Salisbury 58
Records: Salisbury (10-15, 4-6 CAC) | Mary Washington (15-10, 5-5 CAC)
Location: William M. Anderson Center – Fredericksburg, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury started the game with a Gary Briddell steal and three-pointer of the in the first minute of play.
- Mary Washington came back on a three-pointer by Drew Johnson and went on a 13-0 run to get an early lead.
- Mary Washington took a 55-24 lead into the half.
- The second half saw a series of runs as the Sea Gulls looked to close the deficit in the second half. With 17:15 on the clock, Briddell sunk a layup that sparked an 18-5 run, including a 13-0 stretch, in the following eight minutes. However, Mary Washington pushed ahead and swelled its advantage.
- A Briddell jumper and two made free throws by Mike Ward after a steal in the final 1:30 of the game were the final points of the game, but Mary Washington took the 84-58 win.
- Two players collected double-digits in points. Gary Briddell led Salisbury with a game-best 21 points, 12 of which came in the second half, five rebounds, two steals, and an assist. Briddell was 7-of-12 from the field and 5-of-6 from the free-throw line.
- Mike Ward tallied 19 points. All five of his field goals came from beyond the three-point line.
- Johnny Fierstein notched a team-best six assists, five rebounds, three steals, and a block.
- Lucas Martin and Cameron Heard each netted six points and a steal. Lucas reeled in four rebounds while Heard dished out three assists.
- Drew Johnson collected a team-high 17 points for Mary Washington.
- Salisbury secured the fourth seed in the CAC Championship Tournament.
- Salisbury hosts the fifth-seed St. Mary's on Saturday, Feb. 22.
- Time is to be announced.
- Live stats and video links will be available on Thursday.