NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team fell to the Christopher Newport Captains, 82-64, in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) play on Saturday,
Final Score: Christopher Newport 82, Salisbury 64
Records: Salisbury (10-14, 4-5 CAC) | Christopher Newport (19-5, 8-1 CAC)
Location: Freeman Center – Newport News, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half saw Salisbury and Christopher Newport jockey for position as there were eight lead changes and four ties, just in the first frame.
- After Jason Aigner gave CNU a 17-14 lead with a three at 11:41 before Mike Ward responded with a three of his own to tie the game at 17. Ward's three sparked a 14-4 run that spanned four minutes that pushed Salisbury's lead to 28-21 with 7:39 left in the half. Lucas Martin drained a three on the ensuing possession. During the run, Salisbury went 4-for-4 in field goals and 3-for-3 from beyond the three-point line.
- CNU began to claw back in the game with six minutes left on the clock with a 17-6 run but Johnny Fierstein made back-to-back layups at the end of the half to cut the CNU lead to 39-36 at halftime.
- The Captains were able to stretch their lead to eight, 46-38, just two minutes into the second half. But, Salisbury began fighting its way back in the game. A Gary Briddell three and a Devin Garrett tip-in tied the game at 55 with just under 10 minutes left in regulation.
- CNU started to pull away at the end of the game to take the conference win
- Three players collected double-digits in points. Johnny Fierstein led Salisbury with 16 points, 12 of which came in the first half, five rebounds, four assists and two steals
- Lucas Martin and Gary Briddell both tallied 11 points and five rebounds. Martin blocked two shots while Briddell collected a block and an assist.
- Mike Ward tallied eight points and a team-best six boards.
- J.P. Krotulis, Devin Garrett and Cameron Heard each netted six points.
- Jason Aigner collected a game-high 23 points for Christopher Newport.