SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team powered through the Southern Virginia Knights with an 86-58 Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) win on Senior Day.
Final Score: Salisbury 86, Southern Virginia 58
Records: Salisbury (10-13, 4-4 CAC) | Southern Virginia (1-22, 0-8 CAC)
Location: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury trailed Southern Virginia in the early goings as back-to-back threes by Austin Wood and George Howe gave the Knights a 10-6 lead five minutes into the game.
- The Sea Gulls caught fire and stormed ahead of the Knights in the middle parts of the first half. A 22-2 scoring run that spanned eight minutes would give the Sea Gulls the 28-12 lead.
- During the first-half run, the Salisbury defense clamped down on Southern Virginia. For eight minutes, SVU was 0-6 from the floor and turned the ball over five times. The other way, Salisbury connected on nine of their 12 shots during the run, including eight straight points by Gary Briddell.
- Salisbury pushed its advantage to 21 before the halftime horn as the Sea Gulls took a 45-24 lead into the locker room.
- The Salisbury lead swelled to 61-28 behind a 16-4 run to start the second half. Salisbury got out to its biggest lead of the game, 75-37, with eight minutes to go in the game when a Cameron Heard outlet found J.P. Krotulis for a lay-in. Salisbury's lead never went below 26 in the final eight minutes of the game for the conference win.
- Salisbury shot a season-best 53.1 percent (34-of-64) from the field. During the game, Salisbury knocked down 13 three-pointers and was 5-of-7 from the free-throw line.
- Salisbury scored 26 points off 19 SVU turnovers and 16 points on the fast break.
- Gary Briddell recorded his second consecutive 20-plus point effort with a game-high 24 points on 9-of-15 shooting. Five of his nine makes were threes. He also added three rebounds and two steals.
- Mike Ward made five shots, including three from beyond the arc, to total 13 points off the bench.
- Lucas Martin and Johnny Fierstein each netted 11 points. Fierstein dished out five assists.
- D'Angelo Tull handed out a game-best six assists in his first start of the year.
- Cameron Heard notched six points and five assists while Bryan Boehlert secured five rebounds and scored four points.
- Paul Garcia tallied five points in the win.
- Trey Dill scored 11 points to lead Southern Virginia.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE