ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team snapped its three-game skid and snagged a road Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) win on Saturday over the St. Mary's Seahawks, 84-80.
Final Score: Salisbury 84, St. Mary's 80
Records: Salisbury (9-12, 3-3 CAC) | St. Mary's (7-14, 2-4 CAC)
Location: MPOBARC Arena – St. Mary's City, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury opened the first half with a three-pointer made by guard Johnny Fierstein. Although Jack Foley responded with a three as well, the teams jockeyed for position throughout the early parts of the game.
- The first half saw six lead changes and six ties. St. Mary's got out to a four-point lead, 24-20, with 8:27 left in the half.
- Salisbury quickly took back the lead when Gary Briddell pulled down an offensive rebound and found a wide-open Fierstein at the top of the arc for a three to give Salisbury the 27-26 lead with six minutes left on the first-half clock.
- A Devin Garrett steal, rebound and lay-in allowed Salisbury to take a 37-35 lead over St. Mary's at the half.
- St. Mary's regained a two-point lead four minutes into the second half when a Dee Barnes three gave the Seahawks the 45-43 lead.
- A 16-3 scoring run pushed the Sea Gulls out to their largest lead of the game, 61-48, with 12:32 to go in regulation. The run was capped off by Ward's back-to-back three-pointers.
- The Sea Gulls kept their double-digit lead for most of the second half until the Seahawks went on a 13-4 run of their own which cut the Salisbury lead down to two, 82-80, in the final 30 seconds of the game.
- Salisbury kept the late St. Mary's charge at bay and two free throws by Ward to seal the conference win.
- Five players tallied double figures for Salisbury led by Mike Ward. Ward notched a team-best 22 points along with five rebounds and two steals.
- Gary Briddell tallied 17 points and eight rebounds while Johnny Fierstein pulled down six rebounds and added 12 points. Both Briddell and Fierstein had two assists, a block, and a steal.
- Lucas Martin registered 13 points, three steals, and two rebounds.
- Devin Garrett recorded 11 points. Garrett pulled down three rebounds and also added an assist, a steal and a block.
- Miles Gillette led St. Mary's with 26 points.
- Salisbury shot 50.8 percent (30-59) from the floor compared to St. Mary's 45.5 percent (25-55).
- Salisbury was efficient from the line with 21-for-29 from the charity stripe.