DOVER, Del. – A high-scoring overtime battle went against the Salisbury University men's basketball team as the Sea Gulls fell to the Wesley Wolverines, 101-99 on the road on Sunday.
Final Score: Wesley 101, Salisbury 99
Records: Salisbury (4-7) | Wesley (4-6)
Location: Wentworth Gymnasium – Dover, Del.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury was down nine to Wesley twice in the first half but Salisbury tied the game at 35-35 with just over six minutes left in the half when Lucas Martin hit a three-pointer on a Devin Garrett assist.
- Wesley got the lead back up to eight, 43-35, with four minutes left in the first half but Salisbury clawed back to tie the game at 50 heading to the half when Gary Briddell converted an and-one as time expired.
- Salisbury jumped out to an 8-1 run to start the second half to take a 58-51 lead, highlighted by back-to-back threes by Martin and Mike Ward.
- The rest of the half saw four lead changes and three ties as Salisbury held an 82-77 lead with 37 seconds left in regulation behind a pair of Ward free-throws.
- Wesley's Mychal Stefanides hit a three to trim the Salisbury lead to 82-80 with 23 seconds left in the second.
- Salisbury missed two free throws and Stefanides was fouled on a three-point attempt with four seconds left in the regulation. Stefanides made two of the three free throws to tie the game.
- Cameron Heard looked to get fouled with seconds left in the paint but Wesley got possession in the waning moments of regulation.
- Stefanides' half-court heave hit back iron to send the game to overtime with the score tied at 82.
- Both teams traded threes to start the overtime but Wesley would take an eight-point lead, 99-91 with just under a minute left in overtime.
- Salisbury got it to within two when Bryan Boehlert drained a three-pointer with seconds left in the overtime but Wesley ran the clock out to take the 101-99 win.
- Salisbury outshot Wesley to the tune of 47 percent (31-66) to 38 percent (30-79).
- Lucas Martin led Salisbury with a game-high 31 points and 14 rebounds to collect his second-straight double-double. Martin was 9-of-14 shooting, 6-of-10 from three and 7-of-10 from the charity stripe.
- D'Angelo Tull paced the bench effort with his first collegiate double-double. Tull recorded 15 points and a game-best 10 assists.
- Mike Ward notched 18 points and seven rebounds.
- Devin Garrett reeled in 14 rebounds.
- Gary Briddell and Bryan Boehlert each chipped in with eight points.
- Wesley was led by Brian Cameron and Mychal Stefanides, who each recorded 26 points for the Wolverines.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Martin registered his second consecutive game with a new career-high point and rebound total.
- It is the second straight game two player tallied double-doubles for Salisbury.