PITTSBURGH Pa. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team closed out the Carnegie Mellon DoubleTree Invitational with close 75-69 loss to the Brockport Golden Eagles on Sunday.
Final Score: Brockport 75, Salisbury 69
Records: Salisbury (3-6) | Brockport (3-1)
Location: Skibo Gym – Pittsburgh, Pa. (Carnegie Mellon University)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams looked to establish control in the early parts of the game. Brockport got out to a four-point lead, 17-13, with 10:10 left in the half when Montgomery Stroman made a jumper.
- Salisbury jumped ahead 25-19 with just over six minutes left in the half after getting out on a 12-2 run, which was capped off by a Mike Ward and-one after a breakaway lay-in.
- Brockport came back to take a 35-29 lead heading into the halftime after a 16-4 run to close out the first half.
- Brockport extended their lead to 11 points, 42-31, in the first two and half minutes of the second half. That was their largest lead of the game.
- Salisbury clawed back with a 13-2 scoring run, powered by three three-pointers by Lucas Martin, D'Angelo Tull, and Gary Briddell. Salisbury tied the game at 44 with 14:36 left in the game on a Briddell jumper.
- Salisbury and Brockport continued to battle in the middle part of the second half with Salisbury taking a one-point lead, 52-51, with 10:18 left in regulation when Cameron Heard hit a layup.
- The Golden Eagles regained the lead behind back-to-back threes by Tyler Collins and Malick Sylla but Salisbury answered with a Bryan Boehlert three on the following possession.
- Salisbury trimmed the Brockport lead to one, 60-59, after two Heard free throws but the Golden Eagles would start pulling away after an 8-0 run and kept the Sea Gulls at bay.
- Brockport shot 45.9 percent (28-61) from the field compared to Salisbury's 38.5 percent (25-65) shooting.
- The Sea Gulls and the Golden Eagles both collected 40 rebounds.
- Gary Briddell and D'Angelo Tull each tallied a team-high 14 points, Lucas Martin also tallied double-digits with 11 points. Tull had six rebounds and four assists while Briddell had four rebounds and an assist. Martin chipped in with a pair of rebounds.
- Devin Garrett notched a game-high nine rebounds and added six points.
- Mike Ward totaled nine points, six rebounds, three steals and three assists.
- Cameron Heard recorded eight points off the bench.
- Garrett and Johnny Fierstein both had two assists for Salisbury.
- Four Brockport players were in double figures. Malick Sylla had a game-high 18 points. Justin Summers collected 15 points followed by Jahidi Wallace with 11 points and Tyler Collins with 10.