SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team stumbled at home 78-64 to the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins in a non-conference contest on Tuesday.
Final Score: Virginia Wesleyan 78, Salisbury 64
Records: Salisbury (3-4) | Virginia Wesleyan (4-1)
Location: Maggs Physical Activities Center – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half of the game saw eight lead changes and the score tied four times as both teams were trying to find their rhythm in the game.
- Salisbury was able to get a four-point lead, 13-9, nine minutes into the half when D'Angelo Tull knocked down a three from the wing on an assist from Mike Ward.
- The lead changed hands several times in the remaining 10-plus minutes of the half before Virginia Wesleyan took a 33-30 lead into the halftime break off of an 11-6 run to end the half with Tim Fisher scoring six of the Marlin's final 11 points of the half.
- Salisbury quickly tied the game at 33 on their first shot of the second half when Lucas Martin hit a three at the top of the key.
- Virginia Wesleyan responded with a three of their own by Jordan White and a Fisher layup to push their lead to 38-33 in the opening moments of the second.
- Salisbury erased their five-point deficit and was able to get out to a 51-47 lead with 11:07 left in the half when Tull hit a pair of free throws.
- Salisbury's shooting grew cold from the field and Virginia Wesleyan started to pull away from the Sea Gulls. The Marlins sealed the game with a 19-3 run that spanned six minutes and stretched their lead to 68-54.
- Virginia Wesleyan closed out the game by making eight free throws in the final 1:13 of the game.
- Virginia Wesleyan shot 42.9 percent (30-70) from the field compared to Salisbury's 35.6 percent (21-59) shooting.
- The Marlins held a 47-36 rebounding edge over the Sea Gulls.
- Devin Garrett tallied a team-high 20 points along with eight rebounds.
- Gary Briddell notched 10 points and stole the ball four times.
- D'Angelo Tull paced the bench effort with 13 points, three assists and two steals.
- Mike Ward had nine points while Johnny Fierstein reeled in a team-high 10 boards.
- Two players netted double-doubles for Virginia Wesleyan, led by Tim Fisher who scored a game-high 29 points with 15 rebounds. Percy Burt had 13 rebounds and 12 points for the Marlins.