SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's basketball dropped their 2019-20 home opener to the Yeshiva Maccabees, 79-71 on Saturday.
Final Score: Yeshiva 79, Salisbury 71
Records: Salisbury (2-2) | Yeshiva (2-1)
Location: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury and Yeshiva traded the lead back-and-forth in the early parts of the game. Yeshiva went on a 17-7 run to stretch the lead to 32-21 with just over five minutes to go in the game.
- Salisbury would bring the deficit back to single digits with a 12-6 run of their own to cut the margin to 38-33 heading to halftime.
- After halftime, Salisbury would fight their way back when they made five of their first seven shots of the second half.
- Salisbury took a one-point lead, 49-48, four minutes into the second half on a pair of Mike Ward free throws.
- A Yeshiva 7-0 scoring run that lasted three minutes would allow the Maccabees to retake the 56-49 lead.
- Salisbury would get back within one point, 56-55, on a Gary Briddell layup but Yeshiva would start pulling away to take the road win.
- Three players netted double figures for both teams.
- Yeshiva shot 51.9 percent (28-54) from the field while Salisbury was 43.8 percent (28-64) shooting.
- Mike Ward tallied a team-high 15 points. He also notched three rebounds and three assists.
- Lucas Martin and Gary Bridell each recorded 14 points for Salisbury. Martin pulled down a team-best six boards while Briddell secured four rebounds.
- Bryan Boehlert knocked down three three-pointers off the bench to register nine points.
- Ryan Turell had 21 points and 10 rebounds to record a double-double.
- Salisbury will host their former Capital Athletic Conference foe, Marymount, on Wednesday, Nov. 20 as part of a men's and women's doubleheader with the Saints.
- The men's game is set to begin at 8 p.m.
- It is the annual Teddy Bear Toss game. Fans are encouraged to bring a toy or stuffed animal to donate to needy children. At halftime of each game, fans have a chance to throw their stuffed animal in bins on the court to win prizes.
- Live stats and video are available.