GALLOWAY, N.J. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team ended their season-opening three-game road trip on a high note with a 74-62 win over the Stockton Ospreys on Tuesday.
Final Score: Salisbury 74, Stockton, 62
Records: Salisbury (2-1) | Stockton (0-1)
Location: The Sports Center - Galloway, N.J.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury opened the game with a field goal by Johnny Fierstein closely followed by a three-pointer made by Mike Ward after an assist by Devin Garrett three minutes into the game.
- Stockton fought back to quickly tie the game with a basket made by Kyion Flanders from behind the three-point line with 16 minutes left.
- The two teams traded the lead back-and-forth throughout the first half until a pair of free throws made right before halftime by D'Angelo Tull secured the advantage for Salisbury, 40-39.
- Stockton came out of the halftime break on a 19-9 run to take an eight-point lead, 58-50 with just over 10 minutes left in the game.
- Salisbury would get into gear and go on an impressive 24-4 run to close out the game.
- During their game-ending run, Salisbury went 10-of-16 from the field and held Stockton to only one field goal in 17 attempts during the final 10-plus minutes of the game, which was a Jordan Taylor three-pointer to close out the game.
- Salisbury held the edge in shooting. Salisbury went 46.4 percent (26-56) from the field compared to Stockton's 32.3 percent shooting (21-65).
- Salisbury went 36.4 percent (10-36) from beyond the three-point line.
- Stockton did hold the 45-37 rebounding advantage over Salisbury.
- Multiple Salisbury players went double digits in points. Gary Briddell tallied a team-high 16 points followed closely behind by Devin Garrett with 15 points, Johnny Fierstein collected 13 points and Mike Ward collected 11.
- Garrett went 5-of-6 from the field for 83.3 percent and had a game-high nine rebounds.
- Ward pulled down six rebounds and dished out three assists.
- J.P. Krotulis notched five rebounds off the bench.
- Briddell had four rebounds and stole the ball three times for Salisbury,
- Fierstein and D'Angelo Tull each had two assists for the Sea Gulls.
- Tariq Baker led the Ospreys with a game-high 17 points.
- Salisbury hosts their home opener against the Yeshiva Maccabees on Saturday, Nov. 16
- Game time is set for 8 p.m.
- Live stats and video are available