GLENSIDE, Pa. – After a neck-and-neck battle, the Salisbury University men's basketball team fell just short to the Arcadia Knights, 76-72, in the championship game of the Arcadia Tip-Off Tournament.
Final Score: Arcadia 76, Salisbury 72
Records: Salisbury (1-1) | Arcadia (2-0)
Location: Alumni Gymnasium - Glenside, Pa. (Arcadia University)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury started the game on a 13-3 run in the first five minutes of the game.
- Arcadia battled back to tie the game at 27 with a Justin Money three-pointer with just over four minutes left in the half. Arcadia took the slim one-point lead a couple minutes later on a Jalen Watkins free throw.
- A Gary Briddell three-pointer and a Devin Garrett layup in the waning moments of the half would give Salisbury the 32-28 lead heading to halftime.
- Salisbury stretched their lead to as much as eight in the second half when Mike Ward knocked down a three to push the game to 47-39 five minutes into the period.
- Arcadia clawed back into the game and the two teams traded the lead back-and-forth in the middle parts of the second half.
- With 2:22 left in regulation, D'Angelo Tull hit a three-pointer to tie the game at 70.
- Arcadia took the three-point lead, 73-70, with just under a minute left in the game but Salisbury cut the deficit to 73-72 on a Briddell lay-in.
- Needing the foul and the ball, Salisbury sent Da'Kquan Davis to the charity stripe with 15 seconds left in the game. Davis hit both of his free throws to push the Arcadia lead back to three, 75-72.
- With the ball and eight seconds left in regulation, Salisbury had a chance to tie when Garrett had an open look from three. His shot hit back iron and Arcadia was able to reel in the rebound with less than two seconds left in the game.
- Davis hit one of his two free throws for the cushion that Arcadia needed to take the win.
- Salisbury held the slight edge in shooting. Salisbury went 43.9 percent (29-56) from the field compared to Arcadia's 41.7 percent shooting (25-60).
- Salisbury went 36.7 percent (11-30) from beyond the three-point line.
- The Sea Gulls couldn't take advantage of their free throws. Salisbury only made three of their seven attempts from the charity stripe while Arcadia went 18-for-26 in free throws.
- Gary Briddell and Mike Ward each tallied a team-high 17 points. Briddell went 7-of-11 from the field (63.6%) while Ward was 7-for-17 (41.2%) shooting. Both players knocked down three three-pointers and stole the ball twice. Ward pulled down seven boards.
- Johnny Fierstein had a game-high 10 rebounds for Salisbury.
- D'Angelo Tull paced the Salisbury bench with 15 points on 6-of-9 shooting.
- Devin Garrett also reached double figures with 12 points.
- Ward, Fierstein and Bryan Boehlert all dished out two assists for the Sea Gulls.
- Da'kquan Davis would lead the Knights with a game-high 27 points.
- Salisbury continues on the road on Tuesday, Nov. 12 when they head to the outskirts of Atlantic City, N.J. to take on the Stockton Ospreys.
- Game time is set for 7 p.m.
- Live stats and video are available.