SALISBURY, Md. – A back-and-forth battle went against the 15th-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team as the Sea Gulls stumbled in double-overtime to the DeSales Bulldogs, 2-1, on a cloudy, misty Tuesday at Sea Gull Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- DeSales survived an early Salisbury flurry in the opening moments of the game. Salisbury put three shots goalwards, including two from Julia Frankis, but DeSales turned away the threat in the first two minutes of the game.
- The Bulldogs opened the scoring in the 12th minute. After a shot by the Sea Gulls, the Bulldogs went on the counter-attack. Catie McGrath sent a ball into the arc and Maddie Trocki got on the end of the pass and scored past a diving Dom Farrace.
- McGrath looked to double DeSales' lead in the second on a penalty corner but Rebecca Lloyd made a defensive save to keep the game at 1-0.
- Salisbury nodded the game at one in the early stages of the fourth quarter. A DeSales turnover in the Salisbury half of the field put the maroon and gold on the attack. Mack Dinopoulos pushed the ball down the field and backhanded a shot past the DeSales keeper to tie the game in the 46th minute.
- In the first overtime, Salisbury had an opportunity to put away the golden goal with three straight penalty corners. But, the Bulldogs defense turned away the Sea Gull chances.
- After a scoreless first overtime, DeSales drew a penalty stroke in the 77th minute after a foul on a breakaway. Grace DeThomas stepped up to the spot and put away the game-winner to upset the Sea Gulls.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury outshot DeSales, 20-9.
- Mack Dinopoulos scored the lone goal for Salisbury.
- The Sea Gulls tallied 10 penalty corners in the game.
- Rebecca Lloyd notched a defensive save.
- Dom Farrace made three stops in goal for the Sea Gulls.
DESALES GAME NOTES
- Kayla Yeatman made eight saves to pick up the win.
- Maddie Trocki and Grace DeThomas scored for DeSales.
- Salisbury will take on conference foe Mary Washington on Saturday, Oct. 16.
- The game is set for a 2 p.m. start in Fredericksburg, Va.