GWYNEDD VALLEY, Pa. – For the second straight game, the 15th-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team picked up a 5-0 win. This time, the Sea Gulls took care of the Gwynedd Mercy Griffins on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Five minutes into the contest, Molly Reardon made a move past the goalkeeper in the arc and scored on the open net for the first goal of the contest.
- Less than five minutes later, Kayler Townsend scored on a penalty corner play after Elle Wood redirected a pass in front of the cage to Townsend to put a shot near post to push Salisbury's lead up to 2-0 in the first quarter.
- Wood and Townsend teamed up again to put SU up three scores in the second quarter. After a quick restart in the midfield, Townsend assisted on Wood's in the 19th minute.
- McKenzie Mitchell scored twice in the second half to put the game away for good. In the 41st minute, Mitchell received the corner from Mack Dinopoulos and blasted the ball through the Gwynedd Mercy defense and into the back of the cage. In the 50th minute, Wood corralled a loose ball in the arc and sent the ball ahead to Mitchell to tally the game's final goal.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- The Sea Gulls blanked the Griffins in the shot and penalty corner column.
- McKenzie Mitchell paced the offense with a pair of second-half goals. It is her third career multi-goal game and first since Oct. 9, 2019, against Virginia Wesleyan.
- Elle Wood tallied a goal with two assists to continue her point streak to four games and scoring streak to three.
- Kayler Townsend notched a goal and an assist in the win.
GWYNEDD MERCY GAME NOTES
- Morgan Lawless stopped three shots in goal for the Griffins.
- Kaci Murray recorded two defensive saves.
- The Sea Gulls will take on its former conference rival, York, in a mid-week matchup on Wednesday, Oct. 6.
- The game is set for a 6 p.m. start in York, Pa.