Posted: Sep 08, 2021
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – The fifth-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team collected its first win of the season with a 3-0 win over the Washington (Md.) Shorewomen on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls came out firing to start off the game. After five saves in the opening frame by the Washington goalkeeper, Salisbury fired the opening salvo of the game 10 minutes into the contest. After a penalty corner, Allie Davis corralled the loose ball and passed it across the arc to Julia Frankis. Frankis fired a one-timer past the Washington goalie.
- Salisbury doubled up its lead in the second quarter on another penalty corner play. Emmalee Moore redirected a shot on goal from Allie Williams through the Washington backline in the 26th minute of the game.
- The final goal of the game came in the last minute of the contest. The Shorewomen failed to clear the ball out of the Sea Gull attacking zone. Emma Jeffries passed the ball on the sideline to Rebecca Lloyd. Lloyd put a bouncing ball into the arc and McKenzie Jamison smacked the ball past the goalkeeper near post to ice the game and seal the victory.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury dominated possession with 24 shots in the victory compared to Washington's nine.
- Julia Frankis, Emmalee Moore and McKenzie Jamison all netted goals for Salisbury.
- Allie Davis, Allie Williams and Rebecca Lloyd each tallied an assist in the win.
- Kayler Townsend and Maci Long each put three shots on goal.
- Mackenzie Peacock recorded her first career shutout. She stopped all four shots that came her way.
WASHINGTON GAME NOTES
- Ava Rivera made 11 saves for the Shorewomen.
- Anna Harrington put two shots on target.
- Salisbury will continue the road trip on Saturday, Sept. 11 against No. 8 Messiah.
- The contest is scheduled for a 1 p.m. push back.