SELINSGROVE, Pa. – The fifth-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team dropped a close 2-1 decision to the Susquehanna River Hawks on Sunday on the final day of the Connie Harnum Classic.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got on the board first in the 22nd minute. A foul in the arc allowed the Sea Gulls to get a penalty stroke. Allie Davis stepped up to the spot and drained the shot to put the maroon and gold ahead by a goal.
- Susquehanna responded two minutes later with a goal on a penalty corner by Sarah McAndrews.
- The River Hawks were awarded a penalty stroke of their own late in the third quarter with Kati Schmidt scoring to give the River Hawks the 2-1 lead.
- Salisbury looked to tie the game and force overtime but couldn't find the tying tally with a pair of saves by Mackenzie Bross and a defensive save by Schmidt.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury registered nine shots with eight shots on goal.
- Allie Davis scored Salisbury's goal in the contest.
- McKenzie Jamison recorded three shots on target.
SUSQUEHANNA GAME NOTES
- Sarah McAndrews and Kari Schmidt each scored a goal for the River Hawks.
- Mackenzie Bross saved six shots in goal.
- Salisbury will be back in action on Wednesday, Sept. 8 against Eastern Shore rival, Washington College.
- The game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. in Chestertown, Md.