SELINSGROVE, Pa. – The fifth-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team battled back late but fell to the 10th-ranked Kean Cougars, 3-2, on the first day of the Connie Harnum Classic at Susquehanna University.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kean scored the opening goal when Jordan Thompson found the cage on a counter-attack following a Salisbury penalty corner in the first five minutes of the game.
- Salisbury nodded the game at one later in the first quarter when Kayler Townsend knocked in a pass from McKenzie Jamison.
- Thompson added her second goal of the game on a penalty corner in the 22nd minute of the game off an assist from Lia DiPiazza.
- A penalty stroke by DiPiazza in the 46th minute pushed Kean's advantage to 3-1 in the final quarter.
- Salisbury cut the lead to 3-2 in the 58th minute when a turnover inside the arc allowed Jordan Brooks to shoot the ball past the Kean keeper but Kean was able to stifle the comeback attempt.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jordan Brooks and Kayler Townsend each scored a goal for the Sea Gulls. Brooks tallied three shots on goal.
- McKenzie Jamison added an assist on Townsend's first-quarter goal.
- Dom Farrace saved seven shots in goal.
KEAN GAME NOTES
- Kean held the 19-10 shot advantage over Salisbury.
- Jordan Thompson registered two goals.
- Jenna Flemings stopped seven Salisbury shots.
- Salisbury looks to bounce back tomorrow on the final day of the Connie Harnum Classic against host Susquehanna.
- The game is set for a 2 p.m. start.