SALISBURY, Md. – The 11th-ranked Salisbury University football team cruised to a 38-7 win over the William Paterson Pioneers in the regular-season finale to finish the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) slate with a 6-0 record and will enter next week's NCAA Championship Tournament with a 9-1 overall record.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury methodically moved the ball down the field on its opening possession of the game. The 10-play drive was capped off when Joey Bildstein found a lane on a dive play and was untouched into the endzone from 25-yards out.
- After William Paterson turned the ball over on downs on its opening possession, Salisbury marched down the field again. Shamar Gray ended the eight-play drive with a 12-yard touchdown to put Salisbury up, 14-0, at the end of the quarter.
- The teams traded punts before Salisbury got the ball moving again midway through the quarter. Jack Lanham found Gray on the seam for a 38-yard pass before Lanham punched the ball into the endzone on a sneak from a yard out to give Salisbury the 21-0 before halftime.
- Salisbury extended its lead to 24-0 with just over six minutes left in the third when Bert Schrecongost blasted a 44-yard field goal.
- Gray notched his second touchdown of the game on Salisbury's ensuing drive on a five-yard pitch a play after a 23-yard reception from Chad Gleason.
- The Sea Gulls made it 38 unanswered points when Gleason tip-toed down the sidelines for a 15-yard touchdown and pushed the lead to 38-0.
- William Paterson wouldn't down quietly as the Pioneers took a shot to the endzone on a fourth-down play and Spencer Lee found Matt Clarke on a 38-yard post play for a touchdown and gave the game's final score margin, 38-7.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury tallied 376 yards of total offense, including 293 yards on the ground.
- Joey Bildstein had a career day carrying the ball. Bildstein toted the rock 21 times for 145 yards and a touchdown. He averaged 6.9 yards per carry.
- Shamar Gray scored twice on five carries for 36 yards. Gray also caught a pass for 38 yards.
- Chad Gleason recorded 85 yards of total offense. Gleason notched eight carries on 62 yards and a touchdown on the ground. He reeled in a pass for 23 yards.
- Jack Lanham, Billy Gant and Andre Matthews each saw time under center for the Sea Gulls. Lanham scored on a one-yard quarterback sneak.
- The Salisbury defense held William Paterson to 19 yards rushing.
- Sean Carroll led the defense with eight tackles and a pass breakup.
- Josh Adewumi recorded seven tackles, including two tackles for loss and a forced fumble.
- Sam Pagella registered six tackles.
- Bert Schrecongost hit a 44-yard field goal and was a perfect 5-for-5 in extra points. The 44-yard boot was a career-long.
- Salisbury continued its NJAC winning streak to 15 games and it's the second-straight season with an unbeaten run in the conference.
WILLIAM PATERSON GAME NOTES
- The Pioneers were able to move the ball through the air. Spencer Lee was 16-for-33 passing for 159 yards and a touchdown.
- Matt Clarke caught eight passes for 108 yards and the fourth-quarter touchdown.
- Jared Salgado and Nazier Wright led the WPU defense with 12 tackles. Wright added two tackles for loss.
- Salisbury will find out who they play in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday's Selection Show. The bracket release will be aired on NCAA.com at 5:30 p.m.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.