MONTCLAIR, N.J. – Strong first-half offense and timely turnovers lift the No. 14/16 Salisbury University football team to a 27-7 victory over the Montclair St. Red Hawks on Saturday to open the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) slate with a win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took Salisbury 23 seconds to march down the field and score on the game's opening drive. After a Shamar Gray 20-yard run, Jack Lanham galloped through the defense for a 44-yard touchdown run.
- Montclair marched down the field on its opening drive of the game. But, a 3rd-and-9 play resulted in an interception in the endzone by A.J. Butler to keep Montclair off the board.
- After a Salisbury punt, Burch was intercepted for the second time in the quarter on the ensuing drive. Sean Carroll picked off Burch at the SU 33-yard line.
- Joey Bildstein capped off a seven-play, 67-yard drive with a dive play into the endzone on the first play of the second quarter to extend Salisbury's lead, 13-0.
- The Salisbury defense forced a Montclair turnover on downs on the next drive. Salisbury capitalized on the defensive stand with a 70-yard drive capped by a Marcus Wilson three-yard touchdown run to stretch the lead to 20-0 with 3:23 left in the half.
- The Sea Gulls were not done in the first half. The passing game got involved on the final drive of the first half. Two plays after a 24-yard completion by Lanham to David Fletcher, Lanham connected with Hunter Cleaver for a 23-yard touchdown reception and give SU the 27-0 lead.
- Montclair tried getting points on the board in the waning moments of the half but Burch was intercepted again by Carroll to end the half.
- The two teams struggled on offense throughout the second half. Montclair broke through with 1:24 left in the third quarter with an Abellany Mendez 17-yard touchdown run to cut into the Salisbury lead, 27-7.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- The Sea Gulls totaled 320 yards of offense.
- Jack Lanham combined for 145 yards of total offense. Lanham went 5-of-8 for 71 passing yards and a touchdown. On the ground, Lanham carried the ball seven times for 74 yards and a score.
- Shamar Gray notched 63 rushing yards on 14 carries.
- Joey Bildstein and Marcus Wilson each picked up a touchdown on the ground.
- Hunter Cleaver caught three passes for 51 yards and a touchdown.
- The Salisbury defense forced four interceptions.
- Sean Carroll interception Ja'Quill Burch twice in the game. Carroll's two interceptions moved him to a tie for third on the SU career interception list with 13 picks, tied with John Baugher '90.
- Sam Pagella registered 10 tackles, including nine solo stops to set a new career-high.
- Aaron Jahnke recorded nine tackles and a pass breakup.
- Jimmy Celentano and A.J. Butler each intercepted a pass. Celentano also tallied eight tackles and a pass breakup.
MONTCLAIR STATE GAME NOTES
- Ja'Quaill Burch went 26-for-40 passing for 216 yards and four interceptions.
- Omarie Wilmore had a game-high 11 tackles.
- As a team, Montclair totaled 312 offensive yards.
- After a bye week, Salisbury will head back to New Jersey to take on the Rowan Profs on Saturday, Oct. 16.
- The kickoff of the NJAC contest is set for 1 p.m. in Glassboro, N.J.