SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University football team picked up a 30-5 win on Sunday over the Christopher Newport Captains to capture the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) South Division Championship in the condensed spring season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury methodically drove down the field on its opening drive of the game. Shamar Gray capped off a 13 play, 74-yard drive with a five-yard touchdown run to take an early 7-0 lead halfway through the first.
- A Ben Garbarini punt backed Salisbury up all the way to its own one-yard line. SU couldn't get out of its own end zone and Jack Lanham had to take a Jack Parsons' sack which resulted in a safety and the first points of the game for CNU at the 13:49 mark in the second.
- Four plays after a 37-yard reception by Zach Gadwill and a bulldozing 38-yard run by Joey Bildstein got Salisbury to a goal-to-go situation, Bert Schrecongost nailed a 22-yard field goal to put SU up eight, 10-2, with 2:46 left in the first half.
- On the ensuing drive, CNU was able to put points on the board when Garbarini hit a 40-yard field goal as time expired in the half to cut the Salisbury lead down to 10-5 at the break.
- Lanham opened the second half for Salisbury with a six-yard dive play for a touchdown to put Salisbury up 16-5.
- Salisbury started to run away with the game in the fourth quarter. On a drive that started with a 30-yard run by Marcus Wilson, Bildstein ended it with an 11-yard touchdown run to give Salisbury the 23-5 lead 30 seconds into the fourth.
- Chad Gleason ended the scoring for Salisbury with just over seven minutes left in regulation when he tip-toed down the sideline for a 23-yard touchdown off a good lead block by Gray.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury "repeats" as NJAC Champions after capturing the crown in 2019.
- SU tallied 377 yards of total offense, including 316 on the ground.
- Joey Bildstein and Shamar Gray led the ground attack for SU. Bildstein toted the rock 13 times for 81 yards while Gray galloped for 78 yards on 10 carries. Both found the endzone on the ground.
- Chad Gleason tallied 51 yards on seven carries and a touchdown.
- Jack Lanham completed three passes for 61 yards. Lanham did carry the ball 14 times for a rushing touchdown.
- Bert Schrecongost converted his lone field-goal attempt of the day from 22 yards out.
- SU was efficient on third down, converting 7-of-13 chances.
- Salisbury blanked CNU in the second half and held the Captains to 183 yards of total offense.
- Josh Adewumi, Sean Carroll, Aaron Jahnke, Nero Schrader and Jake Schneider all had six tackles for Salisbury.
- Casey Counts collected five stops and two tackles for loss.
CNU GAME NOTES
- Michael Bailey led the offensive effort for CNU with three receptions for 52 yards.
- Ben Garbarini was busy on the kicking duties for CNU. He hit a 40-yard field goal and punted the ball eight times, including a punt inside the five that resulted in a safety three plays later.