SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 11/12 Salisbury University football rolled to a 38-7 win on homecoming over the Rowan Profs on Saturday to remain undefeated overall and in New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) play.
Final Score: No. 11/12 Salisbury 38, Rowan 7
Records: Salisbury (5-0, 3-0 NJAC) | Rowan (1-5, 1-2 NJAC)
Location: Sea Gull Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury opened the scoring the middle parts of the first quarter after back-to-back long runs by Hopeton Mair and Chad Gleason, Mair took a dive play across the goal line from four yards out with seven minutes into the game.
- On the ensuing drive, Jack Lanham found Octavion Wilson on a fly route in the back of the end zone for a 31-yard touchdown pass.
- Rowan looked to get on the board in the opening parts of the second quarter with a 27-yard field goal from Jake Hurler. Hurler's kick was blocked by Sean Carroll to keep Rowan off the board.
- Salisbury continued their momentum from the blocked kick when Lanham scampered in on a 15-yard option play to tally Salisbury's 21 unanswered points to open the contest.
- Rowan would get on the board with 6:24 left in the first half on a 32-yard touchdown pass from Mike Husni to Nick Grosso.
- Bert Schrecongost pushed Salisbury's lead back up to 17 after a 33-yard field goal, several plays after a long 42-yard connection from Lanham to Wilson to put the Gulls right outside of the red zone.
- Salisbury scored on back-to-back drives to help pull away from Rowan. Lanham found Devon Fowlkes on a slant pattern for an 11-yard touchdown with 10:24 left in regulation.
- A play after a 31-yard run by Raphael Coates, Joey Bildstein put a cap on the homecoming victory with an eight-yard power run.
- Salisbury nearly doubled Rowan in terms of yardage as the Sea Gulls totaled 485 yards of total offense compared to the Profs 236 yards.
- Salisbury recorded 336 rushing yards and 149 passing yards.
- 10 different rushers carried the rock for the Sea Gulls, led by Hopeton Mair and Jack Lanham. Mair registered 19 carries for 123 yards and a touchdown. Lanham notched 99 yards on 13 totes and a score.
- Through the air, Lanham was 6-for-11 for 139 yards and two touchdowns.
- Octavion Wilson reeled in a pair of deep balls for 73 yards and a touchdown. Hunter Cleaver had a catch for 39 yards while Devon Fowlkes caught three passes for 29 yards and a touchdown.
- The Salisbury defense got to Mike Husni five times. Robert Jadick, Andrew Raines, Noah Zentz, Sam Pagella and Felix Fonmedig each secured a sack.
- Sean Carroll paced the Salisbury defense with 11 tackles and a field goal block.
- Patrick Bernardo tallied six tackles while Jadick collected two tackles for loss.
- Raines and Josh Adewumi each broke up a pass. Matthew McFarland forced a fumble.
- Bert Schrecongost went five-for-five in PATs and connected on a 33-yard field goal.
- Salisbury hits the road next Saturday to take on the Kean Cougars in an NJAC game.
- Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.
- Live links are available on suseagulls.com.