ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – The third-ranked Salisbury University baseball team bounced back from a rough start to the week by sweeping a Friday afternoon Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) doubleheader against the St. Mary's (Md.) Seahawks. The Sea Gulls won the opener 6-2 and cruised 11-3 in the nightcap at the Hawk's Nest.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- The Sea Gulls opened the scoring in the second inning. Sky Rahill poked a one-out base hit into center, and Stephen Rice followed with a single of his own. Scott Cameron then doubled to right to score Rahill, and Zach Geesaman grounded into an RBI groundout to plate Rice and make it 2-0 Salisbury.
- Salisbury added another in the fifth as Trent Saunders reached on an error at short, took second on a wild pitch, and scored on a Justin Meekins double to left, putting the visitors up 3-0.
- The Seahawks got back into the swing of things in the bottom of the sixth. Joey Bryner was hit by a pitch with one out, then Dillon Waters singled to put two on. After a strikeout and wild pitch to put men on second and third, Andy Collins found a hole to the right for a two-run single, cutting the Salisbury lead to 3-2.
- SU wasted no time reinforcing its cushion. Saunders led off the seventh by reaching on a dropped third strike and moved to second on a Meekins sac bunt. After a Luke Weddell walk, Cameron Hyder dropped a single into center to bring Saunders home. Following a foul out and a walk to load the bases, Rice stroked a two-run single up the middle to push the Sea Gull advantage to its final 6-2 margin.
SALISBURY GAME 1 NOTES
- Stephen Rice led the way at the plate for the Sea Gulls, going 3-for-4 with a run scored and two RBIs.
- Scott Cameron went 2-for-3 with a double and RBI, while Justin Meekins also doubled home a run.
- Clayton Dwyer (6-0) won again to became the pitcher of record in four straight Sea Gull victories. The reigning and two-time C2C Pitcher of the Week turned in a Quality Start over six innings, allowing two runs on six hits with no walks and seven strikeouts.
- Corey Burton relieved Dwyer and struck out five over three scoreless innings to earn his first save of the year.
ST. MARY'S GAME 1 NOTES
- Max Elliott finished 3-for-4 with a double for the Seahawks' only extra-base hit of the game.
- Andy Collins drove in SMCM's only two runs with a single, finishing 2-for-4.
- Mark Smith (2-3) drew the short end of the decision, giving up two runs on four hits in a three-inning start.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- The Sea Gulls kept the engine running to take another early lead. Justin Meekins led off the game with a single and took second on a sac bunt. Two batters later, Stephen Rice slashed a double to right to score Meekins and put Salisbury up 1-0 after one.
- St. Mary's answered and took its first lead of the doubleheader in the second. Brian Sanders led off with a single and Nathan Brown walked. After a sac bunt, Brady Waters dropped a two-run single into center, making it 2-1 Seahawks.
- The teams traded a run each in the third. Salisbury tied the game in the top of the frame on a Meekins sac fly, while Max Elliott singled home a run to make it 3-2 in the home third.
- Salisbury locked in at the plate and teed off in the fifth. Christian Murphy led off with a double, then Jacob Ference singled to put men on the corners. After a walk to load the bases, Meekins hit another sac fly to center to tie the game at 3-3.
- Two batters later, Cameron Hyder reached on an error at first and brought home the go-ahead run. Rice followed with a two-run double to right to make it 6-3, subsequently stealing third. Sky Rahill brought Rice home with a base hit, then after a steal and hit batsman Murphy punctuated the inning he started with a single, scoring Rahill. When the dust settled the Sea Gulls had put up six runs in the inning, including five with two outs, to take an 8-3 lead.
- Salisbury got one more in the sixth as Rice came through again, singling home Luke Weddell to make it 9-3.
- In the seventh the Sea Gulls got into double digit scoring as Murphy stole came home from third when Meekins got hung up on an attempted steal of second. Trent Saunders gave the game its final margin in the ninth with an RBI single, putting Salisbury up 11-3.
SALISBURY GAME 2 NOTES
- Stephen Rice followed up an impressive Game 1 with an even better Game 2, going 3-for-4 with two doubles, one run, four RBIs and two stolen bases. Rice compiled six hits and six rib-eyes over the double dip.
- Christian Murphy finished 2-for-4 with a double, RBI and two runs scored. Justin Meekins also drove in a pair of runs, and Trent Saunders went 1-for-3 with two walks, two runs and an RBI.
- Xavier Marmol (1-0) earned his first win of the season as a stopper out of the bullpen. Marmol tossed 5.2 scoreless innings, giving up just one hit and walking none while striking out six.
- Aaron Combs started the game for the Sea Gulls, lasting 2.1 innings and giving up three runs on seven hits with one walk and two strikeouts. Brandon Epstein took the ball in the ninth and put up a scoreless frame to end it.
ST. MARY'S GAME 2 NOTES
- Brady Waters went 1-for-3 with a two-run single in the second to supply the bulk of the Seahawk offense.
- Dillon Waters finished 2-for-4 with a double and a run, giving SMCM just two extra-base hits in the twin bill.
- St. Mary's managed just one hit after the third inning and were held hitless over the final four frames.
- Jackson Edelman (0-1) was saddled with the loss, surrendering eight runs (two earned) on six hits in 4.2 innings.
- The Sea Gulls continue a seven-game road odyssey with a Wednesday afternoon showdown at Christopher Newport.
- Salisbury won two-of-three against the Captains from April 7-10, including a 7-5 victory at CNU on April 7.
- First pitch from Captains Park is set for 3:30 p.m.