SALISBURY, Md. – The third-ranked Salisbury University baseball team saw its seven-game winning streak come to an end on Friday afternoon, falling to the Christopher Newport Captains 10-4 in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) showdown at Sea Gull Baseball Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Conner Clark singled on the game's first pitch and moved to second on a sac bunt. After a walk and a strikeout, Scott Crosson singled Clark home to give the Captains an early 1-0 lead.
- Justin Meekins provided a quick answer for the Sea Gulls with a leadoff home run, his sixth of the season and second of the leadoff variety, instantly evening things at 1-0.
- Salisbury struck again in the bottom of the second. Luke Weddell bunted his way on to lead off and took second on a groundout. Trent Saunders followed with a double down the right field line to score Weddell. Two batters later Sky Rahill clubbed a single into center to bring around Saunders and make it 3-1 Sea Gulls.
- The lead was short-lived, though, as CNU had an immediate answer in the third. Jonathan Fisher tied the game with a two-run homer, then with two outs and the bases loaded after a hit batsman, single and walk, Ethan Weaver worked another walk to force in a run and put the Captains back up 4-3.
- The Captains added a pair in the top of the fourth on a two-run homer by Kyle Schofield. In the bottom of the fourth, Matt Padeway belted a solo homer to left, getting the Sea Gulls back within 6-4.
- The score stayed frozen until the ninth. With two out and nobody on, Crosson reached on a grounder to the pitcher-turned-error. After a pair of walks, Hodges provided the knockout punch with a grand slam to right, putting CNU in total control at 10-4.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Justin Meekins homered in his fourth straight game, finishing 2-for-5 with a double in addition to the leadoff blast.
- Matt Padeway finished 2-for-4 wit his second home run of the season, while Luke Weddell went 2-for-4 with a double and run scored.
- Jackson Balzan (3-1) got knocked out in the third inning and suffered his first loss of the season. Balzan gave up four runs on five hits in 2.2 innings, walking three and fanning four.
- The Sea Gulls fall to 5-1 in C2C play, one-half game ahead of second-place CNU (5-2).
CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT GAME NOTES
- Brayden Hodges outproduced the entire Sea Gull offense on his own, going 2-for-5 with the grand slam and five RBIs for the Captains.
- Jonathan Fisher and Kyle Schofield each had a two-run homer, the first two of three round-trippers on the day for CNU.
- Conner Clark finished 2-for-6 with two runs scored out of the leadoff slot.
- Josh Husby (4-0) rebounded from a shaky start to stay undefeated. Husby lasted six innings, surrendering four runs on six hits with a walk and four strikeouts.
- The Sea Gulls and Captains now get ready for the rubber game of the series on Saturday afternoon in Salisbury.
- First pitch from Sea Gull Baseball Stadium is set for 12 p.m. with coverage beginning on the Sea Gull Sports Network (SGSN) at 11:45 a.m.